 Space / 7412
Re: Medium freighter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2001 00:45:35 GMT

In lugnet.space, John D. Forinash writes:
In article <G9KpHI.BD8@lugnet.com>, Joel Jacobsen <jacobsen@oar.net> wrote:
After a bit of a delay I now have my medium freighter, the Taranis, completed.
I don't have a web page for it just yet, but I have the pictures on brickshelf.

I need to pay more attention: here's where I stopped reading.

Then I tore into the pictures on brickshelf, starting at the stuff that
looked the most interesting-- the hydroponics garden.

And I poked about a bit more, finding really cool stuff, seeing a pair of
figures in heavy spacesuits with lights and I thought that I knew what
the webpage on it was going to say when you made it. These two guys in the
spacesuits have run across this derelict ship, see. The normally contained
plants in the hydroponics bay had taken over that whole area of the ship.
The area starboard of engineering had fallen into disarray (not noting
that that was simply the medlab to port that had the hatch open...)

Then I came back and read about it, and went back and sure enough, there's
people on there, and a description, and it's not a derelict with a pair
of explorers, and...

I get an overactive imagination sometimes.

Hehe.. That sounds SO much better than what I have. Where were you when I
was working on this?? *laugh*

I'll have to save that plot device for something in the future!

I particularly like the hydroponics area. I'd mentioned in my comments on
another Joel's creation that the plants in the staterooms lent a necessary
"frivolous" air to them, but the hydroponics area here more looks like
someone took over what little space he had and tried to make it look a
little more like home; the huge pile of green in the cramped space makes
it work.

As I mentioned to Jeremy, that was precisely what I wanted. It's practical,
in that they are fruits and veggies, but it's not so antiseptic as a ship
without anything at all.

The hoses running under the floor are gratuitous. Keep it up!

If someone had told me the color scheme of the ship was grey, red, and
trans-blue with black engines, I'd've said "ug." I was pleasantly surprised
in that respect. It looks quite excellent.

-JDF

Actually, thinking back, I /Believe/ Dan "The Man" Jassim, has used gray and
red, or maybe it was white and red, on a freighter he made a while back.
That was where I got the idea. I knew I didn't have enough of any one color
and the Falcon Saucer bits have just enough red that they compliment the
brick and I've always like red and trans-blue together.

Thanks for the ideas and the feedback!

Joel