 Space / 7398
Re: Medium freighter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 19:47:28 GMT

In lugnet.space, Joel Jacobsen writes:
After a bit of a delay I now have my medium freighter, the Taranis, completed.

I don't have a web page for it just yet, but I have the pictures on brickshelf.

This is a modified version, turned into more of a research/exploration ship.
A standard freighter of this size would have most of the dedicated areas
empty and used for cargo rather than crew quarters and such.

I apologize for some of the pictures being blury. :)

I'm very pleased with the outcome of this project, being my first fully
original MOC ship.

It has a crew of 4 (Captain, Engineer, Security, Medical/Research) and Kady,
a multi-role android (shown in the cockpit area - the red fig) that is
capable of functioning in any position as needed.

The crew sleeps in shifts during long flights - with never less than one
crew and Kady on duty at any time or two crew when Kady is recharging.

It has a small hyrdopronics area that is computer controlled (Cyber-ganic)
that even includes a small apple tree with 3 kinds of apples on it. :)

There are 5 major "access panels" on the ship to allow for repair of major
functions to the ship.

I also was able to include a working airlock.

If I were to pick one area of the ship that I like more than any other, it
would probably be the ramp area near the Lab. The varied level of the deck
was a lot of fun to blend into the rest of the ship and make it look like it
belonged that way.

Areas that I'd like to improve concern the head specifically. I don't like
the arrangement, but for now it will do. Next time they're at a starport
with a drydock, I expect we'll find that the crew will refit it. :)

I would have liked to have built in functioning landing gear, but didn't
think about it until I was already finished with most of the hull and I
haven't the interest in tearing things appart to sort it out right now.
There is room to do it, since the outer hull and the inner deck are
seperated by 2 bricks everywhere but near the ramp.  I may work on this at
some point but right now I'm just happy to have it completed. :)

I have pic's of the crew, but for some reason they don't want to upload.
I'll fiddle with them in the next few days. :)

Please let me know what you think!

Joel Jacobsen

:^O  (drool)

Beautiful!  I really like how the airlock, ramp and hydroponics turned out.
I also like how you incorporated the tubes under the flooring.  Very
reminicent of Tim Courtney's destroyer, and a very good feature.

I do have a bit of concern that there is almost no "mass" between the
engines and the interior living space.  BUT it all good if we assume that
the ship's hull is adequate shielding.  Also, you certianly have larger and
better engines/reactor/feul tanks than what TLG did in their "space-junior"
rendition of the MF!  So that makes your ship all the more authentic!

Well done overall!  I will be examining your pics closely to see what ideas
I can gleen from your air lock detail!  :^)

~Trev
Astro Lift Co.
"This one goes to eleven!"