 Space / 374
Re: News on the 2000 space line!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 20:40:16 GMT

In lugnet.space, Kya Morden writes:
On Wed, 3 Nov 1999 05:18:36 GMT, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman)
wrote:
No, the LEGO Star Wars product line at minifig scale isn't a theme, it's a
System.  Play themes are subcategories of Systems.  Aquanauts is a play
theme within the Aquazone System, for example.  Time Cruisers and Time
Twisters are play themes within the Town System.  Ninja is a play theme
within the Castle System.  Insectoids and UFO are play themes within the
Space System.  LEGO Star Wars is a separate System from LEGO Space.

*blinks*  then what's a subtheme?  I always thought that Insectoids
and UFO were subthemes.  Now I'm confused ^^;

There's really no such thing (officially) as a "sub-theme" -- it's just an
artificial term cooked up by us fans, just like "Classic Space" and "BURP"
and "minifig."

JoshuaD once did some Deja-research and told me that it's my fault for
starting the whole theme/subtheme confusion a few years ago back in RTL.
The Fibblesnork LEGO Guide uses the term "series" instead of "sub-theme",
but LEGO doesn't use the term "series" either -- LEGO uses the term "play
theme."

Anyway, Insectoids and UFO are certainly sub-categories of the LEGO System™
Space product category, which in turn is a sub-category of the LEGO System™
product category, but TLG has special names for the layers in the taxonomy:

Product Programmes consist of one or more Systems.  Systems consist of one or
more Play Themes.  Joshua knows much more about it than I do, but over time
I'm learning it, and trying to correct the mistakes I've been making for so
many years.

So, in summary, Space and Castle and Aquazone aren't Themes, they're Systems
(which sit one layer up from Play Themes).  UFO and Ninja and Stingrays are
Play Themes within the Space, Castle, and Aquazone Systems, respectively.

(My brain hurts from that too.  :)

--Todd