 Space / 363
Re: News on the 2000 space line!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 06:48:18 GMT

In lugnet.space, Tobias Möller writes:
<SNIP>
No, the LEGO Star Wars product line at minifig scale isn't a theme, it's
System.  Play themes are subcategories of Systems.  Aquanauts is a play
theme within the Aquazone System, for example.  Time Cruisers and Time
Twisters are play themes within the Town System.  Ninja is a play theme
within the Castle System.  Insectoids and UFO are play themes within the
Space System.  LEGO Star Wars is a separate System from LEGO Space.

Really? I´ve always said "space theme", "castle theme" etc. The system, I
thoguht, was all sets with small bricks (duplo is not system).

LEGO DUPLO® is "a system," but LEGO DUPLO® is not part of LEGO® System™.

Then, inside the space theme, were several sub-themes like Blacktron.

No, LEGO Space is not a theme, it's a system within the LEGO® System™ product
programme.  Blacktron is a play theme within the LEGO Space System, a.k.a.
LEGO System™ Space.

So, if Space is a
system, and Blacktron is a theme, then what is Classic space?

"Classic" space (the word "classic" here being a fan-created unofficial
label) is an unnamed theme within the LEGO Space System (which was once
long ago officially called LEGOLAND Space), although when "classic" space
sets came out, the concept of first-class "play themes" hadn't been
articulated much in the product line.

The desert and jungle Adventurers play themes are both unnamed themes within
the Adventurers system (LEGO System™ Adventurers), and the "town and bandits"
and "indians" play themes are both unnamed themes within the Western/Wild West
system (LEGO System™ Western or LEGO System™ Wild West, depending on which
continent you live).  The Pirates play theme is named play theme within the
Pirates system (LEGO System™ Pirates).  Paradisa™, Time Cruisers™, Time
Twisters™, Extreme Team™, and RES-Q™ are examples of named play themes within
the Town system (LEGO System™ Town).

Unitron is a play theme within the Space system, but even though it appeared
in 1994, it wasn't publicly given a name until 1995.

It can´t be a
theme then, since it was no sign on the boxes saying "classic space", it was
just a planet. So classic space is a system, isn´t it? In my point of view,
classic space would not be a sub-theme, since I don´t think TLG intended to
make other types of sets at first.

It depends how you look at it.  If you go back in time to 1978-1986, then
the classic space sets from that period are just LEGOLAND Space -- the system
was the theme in those days.  Then, in 1987-8, when Blacktron™ and Futuron™
and Forestmen™ appeared, there suddenly were themes within the Space and
Castle systems.  Whether or not classic space sets are then suddenly relegated
to an unnamed theme within the Space system, and classic caslte sets are then
suddenly relegated to an unnamed theme within the Castle system, are probably
things that will continue to be debated for decades to come.  :)

--Todd