 Space / 330
329  |  331
Subject:
What's in a theme...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 31 Oct 1999 16:34:30 GMT

In lugnet.space, Tobias Möller writes:
Hmm, no, they are a subtheme within Town. And, not all of the minifigs have
airtanks and helmets. Some people say that Spaceport links together town and
space, as well as Divers link together Town and Aquazone. In my opinion, SW
or SP is *not* space.

I'm ready to dive in here and get SUPER technical!

Your argument is valid.  I agree that what I would call "Classic Space" sets
would include any futuristic theme (Futuron, Spyrius, Unitron, Blacktron, et
al, plus whad the Todd calls "Standard" but I call "Classic"...like
Coca-Cola!), wherein the mini-figures are donning space helmets and airtanks,
representing a scenario EXCLUSIVE to an OXYGEN-FREE environment.  :-)

We need lives.  Let's dig deeper anyway.

OK, so now there's the question of Star Wars being "Space-Themed."  Tobias, you
argue that since some of the characters in these sets are not wearing airtanks
and helmets, and therefore this set is merely "Sci-Fi" and not "Space."
However, some sets, like the Tie-Fighter/X-Wing set and Naboo Fighter, involve
mini-figures in spaceships.  The trouble here is that these guys all visit
planets with breathable atmospheres, while for some reason, TLG-designed Space
sets all involved barren wastelands which required airtanks.

There is also the question of SW being futuristic, which is summarily
discintigrated by the opening text of each Star Wars movie, which reads, "A
long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..."    ;-)

Anyway, I just collect the damn SW stuff because, with exception to #6902 and
some stupid Kabaya crap, there was no other set released in 1999 even CLOSE to
space-themed, which is my theme of choice.

The Space-Port theme is Earth-bound, which ties it more closely to Town, but
this is a pretty skimpy tie.  It's a "missing-link" between present- and
future-themes, so it could very well be it's own sub-class.  I also present the
notion that if a MIR set is ever put out (awesome!!!), then we'd be back to
square one if all 8 (?) of it's mini-figs came with spacesuits complete with
helmets and airtanks...

One final note, to really mess with your head:  There is one Classic Space set
that features a breathable environment!  #926 Space Command Center!  Right on
the box are featured spacemen with their airtanks removed, and placed on the
transparent-clear chair backings behind them.......!  According to the
priciples you've outlined, this set isn't "Classic Space!"  :-0

Pick, pick, pick....

Dave (jot and jab)