 Space / 23891
Re: Space Fun...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 27 May 2003 15:37:57 GMT

In lugnet.space, John Henry Kruer writes:
Its been sort of quiet here lately, too.  No posts in over a day!  So I'll
just do something like they're doing in castle.  Just so we can prove how
much better we are.  Just kidding.  :)

this is such a great idea! whoever thought it up should get a medal!

Just fill out the questions like a survey.

What is your name?

Leonard Adams McKee Hoffman, aka Lenny, Crackhead Lenny (vive le crackhead),
Ivan Krakhedov, Jr.Mar. LA Hoffman, Eastern Block Cosmos Directorate

How old are you?

23. such an odd year, so in between. and old enough to start forgetting my age.
past 21 it really only matters for the 5's (25,30,35,40 etc). and what becomes
to matter so much more is the date i was born on, 25 Nov 1979. if i know that,
i don't need to know my age.

What does real life mean for you?

as said before, "debt."
but I'm a sr. Library technical assistant at the fsu dirac science library,
wishing to be a high school history teacher. married, and about to have a kid
(due feb 14).

Favorite Space set?

i LOVED blacktron I and space police. i just loved that dynamic. i always
thought of blacktron as free-loving anarchists, and space police as
authoritarians - such that blacktron=black falcons and space police=crusaders
(lions).

this was my all-time fav growing up:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6876

but i also really liked:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6887 but i wished it was done in bt1 style instead
of bt2.

and what both had in common: the little 'bubble pod' that made the ships
customizable.

Favorite Personal MOC?

the Duvernay. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=35642
and the Josef, http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=43017 will be
remembered as the fighter that got me my commission.

Favorite Other MOC?

Dan's Dragonstar, for the sheer amount of detail.
also
Jon Palmer's Alphabet fighters (I, D, Q, and G)
also
Paul Hartzog's interior/chair designs which single-handedly changed the way i
viewed my interiors and how to make detail.

What type of space inspiration do you use?

mainly other LEGO models.  I enjoy scifi movies, but the designs i draw are so
sleek and curvy that they are almost impossible for me to transfer. so i just
go from lego to lego.

And oddly, some Civilization II scenerios have some interesting stuff.
Although I doubt any of you, except perhaps Lenny, know what I'm talking about.

ahh, civ2. what insanity, what psychosis. what pure joy.

What would you like TLG to do with the Space line, after it goes over its
Star Wars hangover?

i'm really not sure. personally, i like the star wars line. it is what got my
back into space building when i thought it would never happen.

LEGO's space designs always seem kinda random to me.
something like this: http://guide.lugnet.com/set/1499 or
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6829 . whereas, the SW line, since built in
relation to ships that have to look real, looks more complete.

almost all SW ships have closed cockpits.  almost all SW ships have large
engines that appear to have the power for hyperspace or dog fighting. take this
one for example http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6813 are those little jet-thing
supposed to zip him around the galaxy? i doubt it.

and SW also introduced the UCS line. It would be silly to try and sell as UCS
Galactic Explorer.  sure, we'd all buy one.. but who else? especially at the
UCS priceline of ~100-200.

having said all that, i'm a PCS fan. i'd love to see something along those
lines.

Link for your models- ie Brickshelf, or a website
=Newer models:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=glencaer
http://www.ozbricks.net/glencaer

altho i have a website, im lazy, and posting to brickshelf is gonna happen
either way, it is usually the only thing i do. im thinking about going to
mocpages, but again, i dunno how much work ill be willing to do.