 Space / 23883
  B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

Greetings! Several months ago, Jamie Neufeld and I were chatting about the toys of our youth and how they were some of our earliest inspirations for our Lego builds of today. In these conversations, we talked often about G.I. Joe and how the (...) (21 years ago, 27-May-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.announce, lugnet.build.military) !!

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

(...) Hi there! (...) Wowzers! Way cool! Beautiful models (especially the Rattler)! Nice minifigs! Nice site! ..um..where's the Trouble Bubble:)? Really, this is a great start for BI Joe. I'll have to bookmark this site and watch for new vehicles (...) (21 years ago, 27-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

(...) This is great! I love the stylized minifig drawings on the file cards, and the models look quite faithful to the originals. The custom minifigs look fabulous too. This idea has the potential to keep going for a very long time. I look forward (...) (21 years ago, 27-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

That's so great! I was more into Transformers than G.I. Joe, but I did have plenty of Joe's and Vehicles. I've thought about making COBRA's H.I.S.S. tank in LEGO. But I'm all talk. Another vehicle I'd like to see is the COBRA Hydrofoil Morey. I love (...) (21 years ago, 27-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

Guys... this rocks my face off. Superb! I'd comment more... but I'm speachless. Admiral Giddens <>< "And knowing is half the battle" (21 years ago, 27-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

Gil & Jamie, This is such an excellent idea! And WHOA, what a great debut of figs and vehicles! I was a child of the late eighties but I remember the excitement of waking up to watch the GI JOE and Transformers double-header. (...) Yes, I think (...) (21 years ago, 27-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

(...) amazing quality ... I look forward to seeing more. Snake-eyes and Storm Shadow? -- Pawel (21 years ago, 27-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

Nicely done. I had all four of those vehicles, and I think you excellent job recreating them in brick. (...) (21 years ago, 27-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

Many thanks Joe! Actually, the Trubble Bubble is in parts on my desk! :) Look for it coming up soon. But please, we'd love to see any and all get in on the Joe action! Yep...the cannon of vehicles runs deep...over 80 I think. That should be enough (...) (21 years ago, 27-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

Thankye sir! The filecards were a blast to do, but were the most intensive part of it I found....I think I spent double the time on the artwork that I did in my model contributions! The figs took some work and a lot of trial and error (a small pile (...) (21 years ago, 27-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

Thanks for the kind words, Phil. Funny you mention TF...that was my focus as a kid as well. Mom's toy budget only allowed for one obsession, and I threw my lot in with Optimus and the bunch. However, I always loved the Joe stuff and gravitated to (...) (21 years ago, 27-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

Nuthin' beats a good face rockin'!! Many thanks Admiral G.... Cheers, -G 'And that's why we now know not to carry rattlesnakes in our pockets, right Duke?' (...) (21 years ago, 27-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

Kind thanks Andrew. Yep..the Golden Age of of Marvel Sunbow cartoons. Love'em. Indeed those Cobra shrouds are trimmed down bandanas. Not exactly 'code' by te purist ethic, but we figured we had to make some exceptions to keep true to the (...) (21 years ago, 27-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

Thanks Pawel...delving into the past is a warm, fuzzy kinda thing. You can be assured that the ninjas will indeed shadow walk onto our pages...looking forward to doing a little more dynamic filecards for'em :) Cheers, -G (...) (21 years ago, 27-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

Thank you sir...it was (and continues to be) a blast! Cheers, -G (...) (21 years ago, 27-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

Really great job guys, on the site as well as the models. You really took me back to my childhood with these mocs. I thought the jeep type thingy was called the R.H.I.N.O. (I still have mine from the first season. That and about 100 figures and the (...) (21 years ago, 27-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

Hey, wasn't G.I. Joe that guy one steroids who appeared on increasingly desperate comemrcials when I was 5? :) This is great, Jamie & Gil. The cards are great, the artwork is great, and the models are great. Who did the artwork? Good job. Can't wait (...) (21 years ago, 27-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

Many thanks Mark....rekindling those old battle cries was our intent! I don't know the RHINO, other than the M.A.S.K. vehicle of the same name. Man...those toy producers really loved acronyms. Yo Joe! -G (...) (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

(...) Great site! I've got a couple of GI Joe inspired models on my own website if you're interested... (URL) up the great work! Sincerely, Marlon Wuytenburg (...) (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

Thanks John! Yep...that was prolly Sgt. Slaughter during the waning years of GI Joe popularity. They didn't go quietly... The artwork is done my myself with the help of a scanner and some patience with Photoshop. A very slow learning curve, I assure (...) (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

So that's what you've been up to. I thought it was strange you've been inactive for so long. I was just wondering yesterday when we were going to see something new from you. I must say it was worth the wait - not just one but a whole line of MOCs. (...) (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

(...) I stand corrected. I did some searching on the web and can't find any evidence of it ever being called RHINO. Isn't it strange how the mind can remember something wrong for so many years and be convinced it's right? I need to go take my (...) (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

(...) Hey...right on! Great graphics on the site...love the brick-fied insignias. The Snowcat has always been one of my favorites...nice job on it! Cheers, -G (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

(...) Many thanks soldier! Yep...the Joe project has been eating up most of my time lately. Hopefully now that the structure is there, I can contribute to it and continue to work on my own spacey stuff. I totally agree with your thought on Jamie's (...) (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

Gil & Jamie, Wow. I remember those toys. Very cool. Very authentic. Are you going to post instructions? I'd like to build them too. Brings back lots of memories :-) John (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

(...) Thanks John....it's been a flashback for us too. We might create some instructions with the kind help of others....CAD is a brave new world for this old timer. Stay tuned. Cheers, -G (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

These are seriously some of the best and most imaginative models I've seen here on Lugnet! You guys really did an excellent job. I remember playing with all of these, and you've hit the nail on the head with everyone, I can't wait to see the MMS, or (...) (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

(...) Mmmmmm, Night Raven. -Grand Admiral (URL) (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

(...) The year I got the Night Raven for christmas was one of the best ever! Except for the one that I got the 8865 test car, that is. Adrian (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

(...) Thanks for the kind words Jon! All those that you named are on the todo list...some waiting on parts, most on the time to cobble them together. Cover Girl...my first crush. Cheers, -G (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

(...) You said it, bruther. Just thinking the other night that that pilot sled would be need to be held in place by magnets. Man...she's gonna be a big'un. Cheers, -G (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

(...) Heh. Great to see someone making use of the image-inlining. And good use it is; lookin' suave there, sir! Anyways, Gil, that's a wonderful site. I'm stoked to try my own hand at some Joe bits. But the Night Raven, while good, is no... (...) (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

(...) Many thanks Lindsay....truly high praise from such a grand military builder such as yerself. The bluewater ships....(insert Homer drool). Would love to see some other's interpretation of the Joe lore. The Terror Drome..you bet. I remember (...) (21 years ago, 29-May-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

(...) Not necessarily, though that would certainly be a novel way of doing it. Other alternatives could include light-grey Technic pins or a sparse amount of studs (like one per corner). Magnets would likely be easier than the alternatives, though (...) (21 years ago, 29-May-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

(...) I really like the nose solution on the Skystriker. And to think I heard people complain about those wedge slopes when they came out! Man, they are one of my favourite pieces ever. Well, I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing more vehicles, (...) (21 years ago, 29-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

Really takes me back... I love it! I was particularly happy with (and nostaligic for, as that was the first Joe toy I ever bought) the Vamp... really works well in the 7 wide (now you'll need a 7 wide HISS!!). Also have to ask how you created those (...) (21 years ago, 29-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

(...) Very true, although since seeing Adrian's wild use of magnets to get the angles in his Nebucanezzar and TLC's use in the ISD, I've made a commitment to myself to try and use those little suckers more ;) I think the mags may also give it a (...) (21 years ago, 29-May-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

(...) Thanks Paul...I can't get enough of those slopes...wish I had about 50 in l. grey :). Patience soldier... Joe will be heading into space, and .space!! :) Cheers, -G (21 years ago, 29-May-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

(...) Thanks Mark...we had a blast cruising down memory lane in creating it. I totally agree that Jamie got it right on the mark. A HISS you say....stranger things have happened..or are happening right now ;) The decals are nabbed from the best Joe (...) (21 years ago, 29-May-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

(...) I never had that. *sniffle* -Grand Admiral (URL) (21 years ago, 29-May-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

(...) From what I understand, the magnets were the only simple solution (I feel that it would have been possible to mount the ISD hull plates with the right string of Technic pieces, but it might have been a bit sloppy), but the NR cockpit has a (...) (21 years ago, 29-May-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

(...) Me neither. Actually, the only Joe item I ever had was Maj. Bludd. All the neighbour's kids had the forbidden Joe fruit. (21 years ago, 29-May-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

Yo Joe! This is a great site. Site design, figs, and vehicles are all outstanding. This should definitely be on a CLSOTW ballot in the near future. My favorites were the Rattler and the FANG, but everything here is good. A few suggestions: --It (...) (21 years ago, 29-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

(...) Thanks Bruce! We'd be honoured if anyone nominated it fro CLSOTW! (...) A Cobra at heart, eh? Don't worry...the bad guys will be getting more rides soon ;) (...) I've sent a note off to the yojoe webmaster about this actually. I normally don't (...) (21 years ago, 29-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: B.I. Joe: A Real Imagination Hero!

(...) each post but I just don't have the time. I'd like to thank everyone for their comments and praise. I know me and Gil appreciate it. I do think Gil deserves most of the praise on this one cause he's done most of the work so far and has done a (...) (21 years ago, 31-May-03, to lugnet.space)