 Space / 17106
Re: Defining the term "Capital Ship"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 21:00:37 GMT

What is the minimum length (studs) of a 'capital ship'?

100>

Can a 'capital ship' land on a planet?

Yes

Can it take off again?

Does a 'capital ship' have to carry smaller craft?

Yes, at least escape pods, or fighters, or exploration vessels

What functions can a 'capital ship' serve in?

Galaxy exploration, colonization, protection.

What would be the minimum crew complement of a 'capital ship'?

10

Give some SF examples of 'capital ships'.

Star Destroyer
USS Enterprise

Have you built a 'capital ship'?

Under construction as we speak.

If so, please give a URL to some pictures.

Do you have any other questions to help define this term? If so, add them to
the list.

I think there's two types of style when it comes to designing capital ships.
Simple & Complex.  By simple I mean a great deal of detail on the exterior.
Complex then means lots of detail.

For a "simple" example see the following masterpiece by Joel Kuester:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=38122>

For a "complex" example see the following masterpiece by Dan Jassim:

I find that I am able to create simple designs that can endure my children's
excitement far better than the complex stuff...

But I like them both equally...