 Space / 16930
Re: Defining the term "Capital Ship"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 1 Sep 2002 03:35:23 GMT

Well, from what I know of cap-ships:

What is the minimum length (studs) of a 'capital ship'?

60 is what I would call the minimum.

Can a 'capital ship' land on a planet?

Depends on the technology level of the race employing the ship. In my
legoverse, a cap-ship can land on a planet and take off in under 10 minutes
thanks to the Cyberspace Drive. Heck, if need be the cap-ship could take off
from inside of a large building or underground structure with no problem.

Can it take off again?

As I said above it depends on the technology level of the race employing the
ship.

Does a 'capital ship' have to carry smaller craft?

Fundamentally, a cap-ship includes escape pods so technically all include
smaller craft. Unless, of course, there is no crew then, no.

What functions can a 'capital ship' serve in?

Basically anything that race requires it to do from planetary bombardment to
mobile research station.

What would be the minimum crew complement of a 'capital ship'?

If it has an AI then none, but with people 1 would be the minimum as long as
he had robots to control.

Give some SF examples of 'capital ships'.

Anything from a Gallofree on up is what I would consider a cap-ship. Star
Trek wise anything larger than the Defiant.

Have you built a 'capital ship'?

Minifig? No. Microfig? Yes.

Well, to tell you the truth the definition is very subjective. I mean an AI
controlling many small ships that could link together could be considered a
cap-ship. You just have to look at the ship and if it looks like a capital
ship then it is one.

\\//,DedmanWalkin