 Space / 16914
Re: Defining the term "Capital Ship"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 03:04:52 GMT

In article <aurora-A76569.16385130082002@news.lugnet.com>,
"Jordan D. Greer" <aurora@psicorps.com> wrote:

Can a 'capital ship' land on a planet?

Can it take off again?

   Why would you even WANT to set a capital ship down? Assuming a mass
of 90,000 (American) tons, you would have to expend roughly 4.91*10^18
joules to get a Nimitz class carrier into space. That's equivalent to
about 1.174 megatons of TNT. To generate 4.91*10^18 joules with hydrogen
fusion, you would have to use 7.8 tons of hydrogen. It's simply not
worth the expenditure of energy and material.

   What I meant to say was 1.174 gigatons (1.174 million kilotons, 1,174
megatons). If my memory serves me correctly, that's more than half of
America's nuclear firepower.

--
For the Cause!
http://www.ozbricks.net/solarianempire/