 Space / 16898
Re: Defining the term "Capital Ship"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 02:50:13 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jude Beaudin writes:
For the sake of this discusion, all LEGO ships refered too should be minifig
scale.

What is the minimum length (studs) of a 'capital ship'?

No single number for minimum could be correct. There are three dimensions
for a ship. All three must be taken into account. I suggest that perhaps 60
long by 24 wide by 16 tall would fit the smallest capital ship I can think of.

Can a 'capital ship' land on a planet?

Small ones could, but I think that a true capital ship would be too big and
fuel inefficient to land.

Can it take off again?

This question doesn't make a lot of sense. If a ship was of a size to land,
it should be able to take off again - otherwise we'd say it crashed.

Does a 'capital ship' have to carry smaller craft?

Not if it can land. But if it can't land it needs some way to get people,
equipment and supplies in and out of a gravity well. Therefore, yes.

What functions can a 'capital ship' serve in?

That is up to the imagination of the ship builder. However, to be a capital
ship means to have a purpose or function that requires it to operate free of
bases, planets, etc. for extended periods of time (greater than two weeks,
at least).

What would be the minimum crew complement of a 'capital ship'?

Again, it is time/function based. A freighter could be classed capital due
to its size, route, mission, etc. but could operate with a very small crew.
A battleship, on the other hand, would need a large crew.

Give some SF examples of 'capital ships'.

Alien: Nostromo (freighter - multi-million tons, crew seven), Star Wars:
Imperial Star Destroyer (destroyer - one mile long, 25,000? crew).

Have you built a 'capital ship'?

I've made the attempt a couple of times. Unfortunately, structural integrity
in combination with detail, piece requirements and LEGO room dimensions have
held me back from finishing one, so far.

If so, please give a URL to some pictures.

My "The Fifties" rocket ship might be classed capital. It is a fifties style
ship of exploration. Although the shell is complete in these pics,

the detailing is not:

Do you have any other questions to help define this term? If so, add them to
the list.

I would add:

What facilities would be needed on a capital ship (that aren't needed on a
less-than capital ship)?

Some ideas I have for this: Machine Shop, Launch Bay, Docking/Recovery
Section, Equipment Handling/Repair, Crew Recreation, Fuel Tankage,
Bridge/Control Stations, Engineering, Galley(s), Crew Quarters, Weapons,
Munitions Storage. Some of these would be needed for any ship.

Thanks for contributing,

Jude

You're welcome.

Wayne