 Space / 16927
Re: Defining the term "Capital Ship"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 1 Sep 2002 02:38:34 GMT

Well in my Legoverse, the Galactic Confederation, there are 3 grades of capital
ships:

A Space Grade cruiser would at least 34 mini-meters in length (102 studs) and
capable of planetary landing.  This is what all MOCs are in my book.

A Star Grade cruiser would be at least 1 mini-kilometer in length (3000 studs)
and would only orbit planets.  I seriously doubt anyone would build one of
these any time soon.

A Galaxy Grade cruiser would be at least 1,000 mini-kilometers in length
(30,000 studs) and would only orbit stars.  I seriously doubt anyone would ever
make one of these.

Now keep in mind that the dimensions are for cruisers which would also apply to
carriers.  A destroyer, frigate, and corvette would all be progressively
smaller.  (For the sake of argument lets say a destroyer would be over 81 studs
(27 mini-meters), a frigate over 60 studs (20 mini-meters), and a corvette over
42 studs(14 mini-meters).  Now I personally go one step further and say
anything over 21 studs (7 mini-meters) would be a gunboat/gunship and anything
under 21 studs would be a fighter/bomber.)

-Mike Petrucelli