 Space / 1407
Re: Air lock and ship docking discussion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 07:51:55 GMT

Some great ideas here!  Let me address them in turn:

--

Paul Davidson, aka Tinman
www.theforce.net |  Your Daily Dose of Star Wars

    In an earlier post Pat Justison proposed that we could have a standard
design which could be implemented on different ships or stations. I think
this is a VERY cool idea.

Neat idea, for starters.

    In a long thread a while back there was a discussion about the • geography
of local space. I believe this was pertaining to the creation of a .space
world and community. It strikes me that Pat's idea would be a great way to
further bind the .space community together in a fairly simple way.

This sounds a bit like the CastleWorld project that has set lugnet.castle on
fire the last few weeks. :)  Good idea, if someone can go through with all
the planning.

    Now on a minor side note: I have created my ship to exist in its own
Lego space world.. (containing its own history and myths)... but with a • bit
of imagination and flexibility I could easily place the same ship and
probably a good deal of its story within another more global .space
community.

The flexibility will be the problem for me too. :)  Maybe it could be set on
a Lego Earth much like our own, but a century or two ahead.  My own
creations represent the Canadian Space Corps, with their own ship designs
and philosophies connected to but separate from those of others.  And anyone
would be free to throw their favourite space villains into the mix.

    Some ideas I'd like to throw out ( I'm rambling so bare with me)

    We have 2 airlock types here (at least I do.)

    The Docking mechanism: This is the cool part. What would the size be?
Would it use fairly easy to come by pieces? I would think this would be a
good idea. I don't use ldraw and so I would actually be building this and • it
would be cool if others could as well. Unfortunately because I do not use
ldraw I would probably not be the best person to finalize the design. If • we
could work out the details and come to an agreement it would be really • cool
if someone out there could construct this and post instructions in ldraw • for
it on their site. I personally think the idea of interactive construction
like this is cool. And this seems to be a great way to try it out and • maybe
add to the creation of a .space world.

To accomodate a lot of ship sizes and types, it probably needs to be just
wide enough for a single file of minifigs to comfortably walk through.  A
simple shape, either rectangular or octagonal.  I think someone basically
needs to come up with some real (not ldraw) designs that work and connect
well, whether by technic pins or a more sophisticated clamp.  Magnets would
be cool!

    Last idea that I just thought of. What about other universal • connection
types like energy, fuel or data transmission? This could be a fun idea I
think. Imagine seeing somebody's new fighter on a site and seeing a • standard
data transfer coupling tucked away on it.

I was thinking of a separate power/life-support umbilical that would attach
to the ship while in spacedock.  I.e., separate from the airlock.  If done
this way, it could have its own standard design.