 Space / 1420
Re: Air lock and ship docking discussion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 04:15:24 GMT

In lugnet.space, John J. Ladasky, Jr. writes:
In lugnet.space, Jon Palmer writes:

Bram Lambrecht wrote in message
I'd like to see something like this, though.  Consider Castle World:
everything can't possibly line up correctly.  There are still technology
or magic issues and differences in storylines...Or Datsville: not
everyone builds at the same scale or in the same style, but it still
works.

I, for one, hardly have a storyline at all...I just like to build stuff
and think it'd be cool for people's creations to meet.  I'd even be
willing to work on raytraced scenes...(although I might ask someone else
to do the final renders.)
--Bram

   I think that this is an important issue. I for one have no problems at
all with there being inconsistencies in the .space world or universe. We
need to consider what the mission and purpose of this endeavor will be. I'm
ok with its goals not being very lofty (like a perfect plot and binding
story) I'm personally happy for starters with this environment just being a
sort of lighthearted "playground" or meeting place between our own realities
and creations.

Agreed.  Let's try it out first.  Don't worry about story lines or compatible
technologies for now.  If we like what we get, we can do round two, with these
additional details.

But I must confess a desire to choose a standard scale, and for that to be
minifig scale.  It only makes sense to discuss docking ports if we are working
in a single scale.

I also like minifig scale, and use microfig scale only when I want something
depicted for which I lack the number of bricks, either practically (see also:
WTB: (2) 928 Galaxy Explorers) or fantastically (see also: Building your own
minifig scale Death Star).

Okay, I'll forget that form (like we really need it). Now that I think about
it, it's a lot like two space-traveling civilizations meeting for the first
time anyway: there are likely to be differences, sometimes huge ones. I guess
I'm just more of a peace-monger, and want to see everyone's worlds get along
without undesired wars popping up, instead of: "Here's a picture of Bill's
supership blowing Sam's fleet clear out of the cosmos. Here's a picture of Sam
being resentful. Here's a picture of Sam packing up his Lego bricks and
leaving."

Isn't this something like First Contact?

-Tom McD.
when replying, spamcake can also be used to feed dung beetles.

Note: Lugnet and rec.toys.lego are family forums

The San Francisco Bay Area Users Group
http://www.baylug.org