 Space / 1437
Re: Air lock and ship docking discussion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 21:49:24 GMT

Steve Bliss <blisses@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
In lugnet.space, John J. Ladasky Jr. wrote:

In lugnet.space, Tom McDonald writes:
In lugnet.space, John J. Ladasky, Jr. writes:

But maybe extravehicular activity is not a major concern for your • spacecraft.
(There's very little EVA in most sci-fi. The only sci-fi story with EVA • that I
can recall at the moment is Asimov's "Foundation's Edge."

This is sort of off-topic, but I just remembered another one -- Clarke's • "2001."
Remember?  "Open the pod bay doors, HAL!"  "I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do • that."

There's also a certain amount of EVA in various Star Trek films (and TV
episodes).  Mostly scampering around the skin of the Enterprise, I believe.

I liked the space suits in the Star Trek animated series -- they consisted • of
belts, which extended individual a custom-fit force field around the • wearer, and
provided life support.

I never saw the Star Trek animated series, but I always wondered why the
Federation didn't issue personal shielding along with phaser
rifles--especially after they saw how well the Borg employed them.  Of course
that innovation would have to come after the most needed Star Trek
innovation:  Seat belts for the bridge of the Enterprise!

-John Van