 Space / 1486
Re: Air lock and ship docking discussion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 14:25:35 GMT

In lugnet.space, Edward Halonen writes:
In lugnet.space, Jon Palmer writes:
   I've been thinking about my ship's air locks and its mechanism for
docking to another vessel that would be too big for its interior bays.
   My ship will have 2 personnel air locks and I know roughly where there
location will be. It will have one docking ring for other ships and again I
know where I want to put it but haven't given a lot of thought on how it
will look or work.
   In an earlier post Pat Justison proposed that we could have a standard
design which could be implemented on different ships or stations. I think
this is a VERY cool idea.

  Well, one single airlock design would be convenient, but somewhat
impractical, not all organizations and countries would agree on a single
docking system.

I agree, however, the design which elicits the best response from the
community in general will more than likely be the most popular and convenient
to use. The more popular design would turn into an unofficial standard just by
the fact that it is used in more applications.

   In a long thread a while back there was a discussion about the geography
of local space. I believe this was pertaining to the creation of a .space
world and community. It strikes me that Pat's idea would be a great way to
further bind the .space community together in a fairly simple way.
   Now on a minor side note: I have created my ship to exist in its own
Lego space world.. (containing its own history and myths)... but with a bit
of imagination and flexibility I could easily place the same ship and
probably a good deal of its story within another more global .space
community.

  Hmmm... As it has been mentioned before there is no easy way everyone's
space universe could come together as one, so here's my ideas;
  1: First of all, you cannot consider all of space Lego one universe, space
Lego simply describes the future, which should contain many coming time
periods. I propose 2 seperate ones.
  Near future; No FTL travel, thus no contact with alien life, also • everything
that occurs, occurs within the Sol system, or maybe even Rigil Kent.
  And then there's the distant future; FTL very common, possible contact with
aliens, Terran life spread throughout the galaxy, ect...
  2: Even if time periods are seperated to better devide technology, we move
into the problem of history. Many people will have different versions of
history, the only way to accomadate them all? Different universes... Parallel
universes that is. All universes in this geography of local space have all
encountered a wormhole, or something to that effect, linking their dimension
with everyone elses.

This is where the geography of space comes into play, as well as conventional
physics. Many designs throw both of these ideas out the window, although to
exclude one or the other does nothing except sow confusion into the idea of a
shared universe.

Why not create a "Space Diner"? I'm sure minifigs need to eat. While they are
eating, they'll need to park their ships somewhere. Anyone who wanted to check
out another persons' creations could just cruise the parking lot. This would
solve the whole technological, FTL, Force Field, etc discussion. After all,
I've see Corvettes and Winnebagos both parked in the same parking lot. I've
even seen cars from other countries, which would correlate to ships from
different solar systems.

   Some ideas I'd like to throw out ( I'm rambling so bare with me)

<Snipped Airlock Discussion>

-Ed

Just My $0.02.

-Duane