 Space / 1417
Re: Air lock and ship docking discussion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 00:59:40 GMT

Bram Lambrecht wrote in message
I'd like to see something like this, though.  Consider Castle World:
everything can't possibly line up correctly.  There are still technology
or magic issues and differences in storylines...Or Datsville: not
everyone builds at the same scale or in the same style, but it still
works.
I, for one, hardly have a storyline at all...I just like to build stuff
and think it'd be cool for people's creations to meet.  I'd even be
willing to work on raytraced scenes...(although I might ask someone else
to do the final renders.)
--Bram

    I think that this is an important issue. I for one have no problems at
all with there being inconsistencies in the .space world or universe. We
need to consider what the mission and purpose of this endeavor will be. I'm
ok with its goals not being very lofty (like a perfect plot and binding
story) I'm personally happy for starters with this environment just being a
sort of lighthearted "playground" or meeting place between our own realities
and creations.
    I believe because my particular creation is a space ship that it is
capable of adapting to different environments and storylines easily.
    There was a castle world discussion with someone asking if they could
have a certain island off of the coast of the mainland so that they could
build there castle or fortress there. I LOVE the simplicity of this. Do not
get me wrong I completely embrace the more technical and firm aspects
involved with this (I after all was curious about docking design
standards)-- but I would not want these issues to get in the way of a fun
binding community where my creations could interact-- even minimally-- with
others. I of course have my own "science" and explanations and what not for
how I have gravity on my ship and how the engines work and such but it would
be cool just to pop the ship into another Star wars like universe where the
ships make noises in a vacuum and you can make .5 past light speed cuzz you
just put a lot of work into your illegal hyperdrive.

    I'm rambling again. Sigh.

    Ok heres my ship's story-- very summarized:  There was once a huge
church/ theocracy which arose at the point when a certain civilization (its
earth in my head but it doesn't HAVE to be) began to finally reach out into
the stars. The church was initially formed as part of a movement to preserve
the notion of the civilization's life forms travelling in space as living
beings; instead of there essences stored in data on unmanned vessels and
delivered to distant  worlds via computers, robots and Von neumann machines,
which would "bring them to life/ regenerate them" when they got there. Later
the church ( which of course borrowed many of its ideals from previous
religions ) grew to a huge empire with a fleet of massive ship/churches
designed to "enlighten" worlds that did not see the theocracy's views (which
were of course not so noble at that point). My ship, which is one of the
smallest of these ships, is later found through mysterious circumstances
long  after the empire has faded away. La la la .. theres more but I won't
torture you. Its heavily inspired by Asimov, the Dune books, Star wars,
Frank J. Tipler and the Catholic church.

    But even though I have this little story built up I still care more
about building and playing so I don't want it to get in the way.

    Heck-- just give me a scary Asteroid field somewhere out there where my
pirate ship can roam around and I'll be happy.

    Jon