 Space / 1418
Re: Air lock and ship docking discussion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 03:07:30 GMT

In lugnet.space, Tom McDonald writes:
In lugnet.space, John J. Ladasky, Jr. writes:

But maybe extravehicular activity is not a major concern for your spacecraft.
(There's very little EVA in most sci-fi. The only sci-fi story with EVA that I
can recall at the moment is Asimov's "Foundation's Edge."

This is sort of off-topic, but I just remembered another one -- Clarke's "2001."
Remember?  "Open the pod bay doors, HAL!"  "I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that."

IRL, NASA does much more EVA.)  Maybe the hatch almost always opens into the
docking port of another vehicle, or into a breathable atmosphere.  In that
case, you can get away with a single door on the ship, which greatly
simplifies the interior design.
True, but I think just about everyone like the ability to put doors on things,
so that minifigures can 'get out' in space... it's just the fun thing to do.
Plus, for high adventure fun, young Lt. Spacecadet *has to* get out there
himself and repair the communications array because their only available
repair droid has just been disabled by an unknown onboard saboteur.

Unknown?  Nah, it's Major Moonbeam, having a bit of fun with the hapless newbie.
8^)

I haven't said anything about this for a while.  However, shortly after the
original discussion ended, I concluded that we Space Datsville hopefuls will
probably still end up with at least two or three different types of airlock
design.  Some of them may be able to join to each other, others not.
I don't mind several standards at all.

Nor do I.  But I think that the idea of every space vessel being able to dock
with every other type of space vessel is probably impossible to achieve.  Most
people's designs, I have noted, are really small fighter spacecraft.  The only
access is through the cockpit window.

No big deal.  Many things still will work together.

Steve Bliss has also designed a
dockable airlock very similar to mine. But IIRC the last time he commented on
it, he said it lacked the strength for a good, strong connection and he wanted
to redo it. More power to him, esp. if a superior design comes out of it.

I'm working from the opposite assumptions -- a zero-gravity environment,
and the need for only one door.  I'm trying to make the door frame from
(among other pieces) four of those 45-degree, three-stud bricks <snip>
An octagonal crawl-through hatch, if one can succeed in making it, should
be very believable -- and, hopefully, pleasing to the eye.

I did some building last night -- and it looks like I might go for a double-
doored airlock after all.  This ship is turning out larger than I expected.
Maybe I should build something smaller, for the express purpose of featuring the
smaller door design I was working on...

Do you document your designs? Either via photo, scan or LDraw? I'd like to
see it when done.

Well, I'm newly emerged from my Dark Ages.  The model I'm working on at the
moment is my first model of significance in twenty years.  When I'm done, I will
photograph it, at the very least.  I'm handy with a camera and a scanner, I pay
attention to lighting, plus I have a nice macro lens set.

I'm aware of LDraw, however I haven't downloaded it yet.  Nearly all of the
computers here on the Stanford campus are Macs, so I can't run LDraw here.  My
home computer, a Windows machine, is not wired up -- not that it couldn't be,
but I'm totally spoiled by the high-speed, free campus connections.  I've
recently graduated, and my salary isn't quite what I'd like yet.  Until I have
money to burn (in other words, after I've satisfied my need to buy Lego!), it's
hard for me to justify paying cash for net access that in all probability will
be twenty times slower than what I have here.  When I finally bite, I'll jump
straight to a DSL or cable modem connection.

The last time I tried to pass a binary from the Net, to a PC disk in a campus
Mac, to my home PC, it arrived corrupted.  I haven't debugged this process yet.

How does LDraw perform with a model that has LOTS of non-orthogonal angles?

--
John J. Ladasky Jr., Ph.D.
Department of Strucutral Biology