 Space / 1401
1400  |  1402
Subject:
Air lock and ship docking discussion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 01:53:26 GMT

    I've been thinking about my ship's air locks and its mechanism for
docking to another vessel that would be too big for its interior bays.
    My ship will have 2 personnel air locks and I know roughly where there
location will be. It will have one docking ring for other ships and again I
know where I want to put it but haven't given a lot of thought on how it
will look or work.
    In an earlier post Pat Justison proposed that we could have a standard
design which could be implemented on different ships or stations. I think
this is a VERY cool idea.
    In a long thread a while back there was a discussion about the geography
of local space. I believe this was pertaining to the creation of a .space
world and community. It strikes me that Pat's idea would be a great way to
further bind the .space community together in a fairly simple way.
    Now on a minor side note: I have created my ship to exist in its own
Lego space world.. (containing its own history and myths)... but with a bit
of imagination and flexibility I could easily place the same ship and
probably a good deal of its story within another more global .space
community.

    Some ideas I'd like to throw out ( I'm rambling so bare with me)

    We have 2 airlock types here (at least I do.)

    The first is a small airlock which would allow access to the outside of
the ship for repairs and such. I suppose this airlock because it does not
really need to connect to anything shouldn't be integral to this discussion.
I could actually after all just have this be part of the docking air lock
and call it a day. The reason I wanted more I think was because I initially
wanted more cool technical stuff on my ship (function seems to follow form
here) but now it strikes me that my crew would need another exit. If they
are currently docked to another ship and need to get outside in a hurry this
seems to be a better alternative then popping off the other ship or
something so they could exit via the docking lock.

    I guess this small airlock would not need to be universal aside from the
fact that all of these would have a mini fig size (on a mini fig scale ship
but I guess this discussion seems to exclude other scales). this brings me
to another idea....

    Would we want to consider robots, mechs, droids and such? Probably not.
Mechs and other large robots will have their own bays probably. I'll stay on
track here I could go on forever about this. Side note though: my ship will
have several external compartments that will snugly hold the robots that
repair and mess around on the hull. I like really small robots for this and
all of these are smaller generally then a mini fig.

    The Docking mechanism: This is the cool part. What would the size be?
Would it use fairly easy to come by pieces? I would think this would be a
good idea. I don't use ldraw and so I would actually be building this and it
would be cool if others could as well. Unfortunately because I do not use
ldraw I would probably not be the best person to finalize the design. If we
could work out the details and come to an agreement it would be really cool
if someone out there could construct this and post instructions in ldraw for
it on their site. I personally think the idea of interactive construction
like this is cool. And this seems to be a great way to try it out and maybe
add to the creation of a .space world.

    Last idea that I just thought of. What about other universal connection
types like energy, fuel or data transmission? This could be a fun idea I
think. Imagine seeing somebody's new fighter on a site and seeing a standard
data transfer coupling tucked away on it.

    Ok this has been very long. Thanks if you got this far. Any feed back
would be very cool.

    -Jon

-web:    http://www.geocities.com/legotiel/bardiel.html

    more pictures soon.. I swear!