 Space / 1413
Re: Air lock and ship docking discussion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 21:04:12 GMT

In lugnet.space, Bram Lambrecht writes:
"John J. Ladasky Jr." <ladasky@my-deja.com> writes:
Maybe the hatch almost always opens into the docking port
of another vehicle, or into a breathable atmosphere.  In that
case, you can get away with a single door on the ship, which
greatly simplifies the interior design.

Or you can create a little extension (sort of like a docking port with no
ship attached) which adds an extra door to the port, thereby creating an
airlock.
If I haven't already, I meant to thank you for this design! I've built it and
it works nicely.

I haven't said anything about this for a while.  However, shortly
after the original discussion ended, I concluded that we Space Datsville

hopefuls will probably still end up with at least two or three different
types of airlock design.  Some of them may be able to join to each
other, >others not.

Then comes the challenge of creating adapters from one type to another.
Hey they could do it for the astro/cosmonaut meeting, why not for Space
Datsville?
Tim Courtney suggested this idea to me awhile back, and I like it. I hadn't
posted it before because I thought things were too heated back then.

If successful adaptation occurs, again, the idea returns of a common
geography/universe to incorporate our ideas. I'm not sure it's possible. It
may be that such a place does not incorporate any current milieu/universe of
any currently known, but should be a new place. Yet still, use of certain
technologies will divide us (such as use of matter/energy converters, tractor
beams, etc.), and 'who's fleet is stronger', blah, blah blah.

The only way that I see is to organize a universe with rules and stick to it,
similar to a role-playing game, or else it'll eventually get so bizarre and
out of hand that'll it be unrecognizable (thank you, Gary Gygax).

BTW, that's not to say there couldn't be more than one universe to which
anyone could belong. Folks could have ships in this universe that don't move
faster than light, and use the same ships in another universe where they do.
Some are heavily into mechs too. It's all in your imagination anyway. People
could also develop games that use their LDraw creations in a multiplayer
computer game environment over the web too.. wouldn't that be fun going on a
multiplayer mission flying a Galaxy Explorer or a Blacktron Renegade? Or your
MOC?

-Tom McD.
when replying, Spamcake: proud sponsor of the 2002 Winter Flatulence Games.