 Space / 1409
Re: Air lock and ship docking discussion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 09:37:03 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jon Palmer writes:
   I've been thinking about my ship's air locks and its mechanism for
docking to another vessel that would be too big for its interior bays.
   My ship will have 2 personnel air locks and I know roughly where there
location will be. It will have one docking ring for other ships and again I
know where I want to put it but haven't given a lot of thought on how it
will look or work.
   In an earlier post Pat Justison proposed that we could have a standard
design which could be implemented on different ships or stations. I think
this is a VERY cool idea.
   In a long thread a while back there was a discussion about the geography
of local space. I believe this was pertaining to the creation of a .space
world and community. It strikes me that Pat's idea would be a great way to
further bind the .space community together in a fairly simple way.

Indeed.  I'm not sure that the idea was Pat's, however.

Tom McDonald proposed his airlock as a standard design back in this message:

http://www.lugnet.com/space/?n=6

It's a very nice design (the use of pegs and beams is well thought-out, and I'm
likely to steal that part of the idea), if you start from three assumptions:

1) Your spacecraft design has room to spare.  The walls are thick, and there are
two doors.
2) There's a reason to want an airlock that accomodates a *standing* minifig.
In other words, you're working in an environment that has artificial gravity.
3) You consider it important to preserve cabin pressure under all circumstances.
In other words, you want a double-door airlock.

Think back to the Gemini and Apollo LEM spacecraft, not long ago.  When the
hatch was opened, the entire interior of the spacecraft was open to space.
There was no room or weight budget on these ships for a dedicated, double-doored
airlock, large enough for a person (and their space suit, plus some wiggle
room).  Now, on many missions the Shuttle has such a chamber, mounted in its
cargo bay.  However, there is no gravity in the Shuttle when it's in orbit, so
the chamber can be of any shape.  And the door can be a lot smaller, since the
person/minifig can crawl/float through, instead of walking.

But maybe extravehicular activity is not a major concern for your spacecraft.
(There's very little EVA in most sci-fi.  The only sci-fi story with EVA that I
can recall at the moment is Asimov's "Foundation's Edge."  IRL, NASA does much
more EVA.)  Maybe the hatch almost always opens into the docking port of another
vehicle, or into a breathable atmosphere.  In that case, you can get away with a
single door on the ship, which greatly simplifies the interior design.

I haven't said anything about this for a while.  However, shortly after the
original discussion ended, I concluded that we Space Datsville hopefuls will
probably still end up with at least two or three different types of airlock
design.  Some of them may be able to join to each other, others not.

I like Tom McDonald's design, for the situation it was intended to address.  For
a spacecraft that I'm presently building, I'm working from the opposite
assumptions -- a zero-gravity environment, and the need for only one door.  I'm
trying to make the door frame from (among other pieces) four of those 45-degree,
three-stud bricks -- the kind you see in step 18 of the instructions for the
6949 Robo-Guardian:

http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/6000/6949/6949-06.html

An octagonal crawl-through hatch, if one can succeed in making it, should be
very believable -- and, hopefully, pleasing to the eye.

--
John J. Ladasky Jr., Ph.D.
Department of Strucutral Biology