 Space / 1411
Re: Air lock and ship docking discussion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 16:47:51 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jon Palmer writes:

   Holy moly. I just went waaayyy back to what looks like the first thread
here on .space and saw that the docking topic has been discussed before.
   I have lots to read!

   Input still welcome though!

   -Jon

One downfall of the original discussion was what to me was a big fracture in
the thinking. If you read them all, you can see it develope quite clearly.
There were many posts trying to decide on standards for ship building so that
everything fit into one tidy little universe using conventional physics. In
the end it was decided that there were TOO many standards for ship building.
Everything from docking port standardization and minifig vs. microfig scales
to whether or not FTL (faster than light) propulsion should be allowed. Some
felt that the standards and forced story lines stifled creativity. It would be
nice to have a place where everyone's ideas could be shared, even if the
storylines do not coincide, but even that seemed like a sore point.

-Duane