 Space / 1401
  Air lock and ship docking discussion

I've been thinking about my ship's air locks and its mechanism for docking to another vessel that would be too big for its interior bays. My ship will have 2 personnel air locks and I know roughly where there location will be. It will have one (...) (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Air lock and ship docking discussion

In lugnet.space, Jon Palmer writes: The first is a small airlock which would allow access to the outside of the ship for repairs and such. I suppose this airlock because it does not really need to connect to anything shouldn't be integral to this (...) (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Air lock and ship docking discussion

Some great ideas here! Let me address them in turn: -- Paul Davidson, aka Tinman www.theforce.net | Your Daily Dose of Star Wars www.filmforce.net | Your Daily Dose of Film News (...) Neat idea, for starters. (...) geography (...) This sounds a bit (...) (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Air lock and ship docking discussion

Holy moly. I just went waaayyy back to what looks like the first thread here on .space and saw that the docking topic has been discussed before. I have lots to read! Input still welcome though! -Jon (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Air lock and ship docking discussion

(...) Indeed. I'm not sure that the idea was Pat's, however. Tom McDonald proposed his airlock as a standard design back in this message: (URL) a very nice design (the use of pegs and beams is well thought-out, and I'm likely to steal that part of (...) (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Air lock and ship docking discussion

(...) Or you can create a little extension (sort of like a docking port with no ship attached) which adds an extra door to the port, thereby creating an airlock. (...) other, >others not. Then comes the challenge of creating adapters from one type (...) (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Air lock and ship docking discussion

(...) One downfall of the original discussion was what to me was a big fracture in the thinking. If you read them all, you can see it develope quite clearly. There were many posts trying to decide on standards for ship building so that everything (...) (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Air lock and ship docking discussion

(...) <snip> (...) No, it wasn't, but I certainly welcome his input, and from others too. I'd like to see this discussion continue. (...) I'm (...) are (...) That is correct. The craft possessing this airlock is not meant to be small. It is a (...) (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Air lock and ship docking discussion

(...) If I haven't already, I meant to thank you for this design! I've built it and it works nicely. (...) Tim Courtney suggested this idea to me awhile back, and I like it. I hadn't posted it before because I thought things were too heated back (...) (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Air lock and ship docking discussion

(...) You're welcome. Do you have pictures somewhere? (...) I'd like to see something like this, though. Consider Castle World: everything can't possibly line up correctly. There are still technology or magic issues and differences in (...) (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Air lock and ship docking discussion (and "Spaceville")

(...) Nothing rendered yet, but if you go to my site and see the M3 module, you might be able to imagine the new airlock module looking like either end, starting where the sliding doors start out to the end. The airlock module itself (model #A3) has (...) (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.space)

Bram Lambrecht wrote in message (...) I think that this is an important issue. I for one have no problems at all with there being inconsistencies in the .space world or universe. We need to consider what the mission and purpose of this endeavor (...) (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Air lock and ship docking discussion

(...) This is sort of off-topic, but I just remembered another one -- Clarke's "2001." Remember? "Open the pod bay doors, HAL!" "I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that." (...) Unknown? Nah, it's Major Moonbeam, having a bit of fun with the hapless newbie. (...) (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Air lock and ship docking discussion

(...) Not everyone in Datsville builds at the same scale? This I must have missed. IIRC they are working in minifig scale, and the town is built on the standard 32 X 32 baseplates with roads, etc. It has been a few months since I visited. I should (...) (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Air lock and ship docking discussion

(...) I also like minifig scale, and use microfig scale only when I want something depicted for which I lack the number of bricks, either practically (see also: WTB: (2) 928 Galaxy Explorers) or fantastically (see also: Building your own minifig (...) (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.space)

"Tom McDonald" <radiotitan@yanospamhoo.com> wrote in message news:FqBD5o.52J@lugnet.com... (...) along (...) Sam (...) *The names have been changed to protect the innocent* Would there be anything wrong with "Bill" and "Sam's" force for good (...) (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Air lock and ship docking discussion

(...) [please FUT .cad] It can be a pain to make multiple angles...just ask Jeremy Sproat, Karim Nassar, or others...however, it can be done using submodels and patience. --Bram Bram Lambrecht / o o \ BramL@juno.com ---...---oooo-----(_...o---...--- (...) (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.space, lugnet.cad)

  Re: Air lock and ship docking discussion

(...) I wouldn't say it's nothing, but it's certainly more suspenseful and entertaining...eg, the "Space Race" was more prolly interesting to the general public than any space shuttle going up now... --Bram Bram Lambrecht / o o \ BramL@juno.com (...) (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.space)

  Spacial Relations (was Re: Air lock and ship docking discussion)

(...) Heh, good ol' Bill Blank, and his pal Sam Sample. (...) I should have been clearer in that earlier post, but I have no problem regarding builder-desired or "planned" war between good and evil minifigs, between factions that misunderstand each (...) (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Air lock and ship docking discussion

(...) It makes a few other assumptions: 1) No critters in your universe will ever be larger than mini-fig scale. 2) You'll never want to use an airlock for transfer of objects larger than minifigs. That last one is the annoying one. It hit me that I (...) (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Air lock and ship docking discussion

(...) There's also a certain amount of EVA in various Star Trek films (and TV episodes). Mostly scampering around the skin of the Enterprise, I believe. I liked the space suits in the Star Trek animated series -- they consisted of belts, which (...) (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.space)

Steve Bliss <blisses@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:c3r5bscr32mmfv8...4ax.com... (...) spacecraft. (...) that I (...) "2001." (...) that." (...) of (...) wearer, and (...) I never saw the Star Trek animated series, but I always wondered (...) (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Air lock and ship docking discussion

(...) Well, one single airlock design would be convenient, but somewhat impractical, not all organizations and countries would agree on a single docking system. (...) Hmmm... As it has been mentioned before there is no easy way everyone's space (...) (24 years ago, 29-Feb-00, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Air lock and ship docking discussion

(...) I agree, however, the design which elicits the best response from the community in general will more than likely be the most popular and convenient to use. The more popular design would turn into an unofficial standard just by the fact that it (...) (24 years ago, 29-Feb-00, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Air lock and ship docking discussion

(...) be (...) I made a small lander that used an octagonal plate. The hatch itself is still rectangular, but the plate was octagonal, was a crawl-way, and had warning strips and lights around the hatch. Personally, I think it would have made for a (...) (24 years ago, 29-Feb-00, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Air lock and ship docking discussion

(...) bites, (...) are I take it you used UFO hull pieces for the ends of the Deep Space Transport.. Interesting idea. Have you seen the designs for the Orion spacecraft? It's a theoretical design using a large circular blastplate for detonating a (...) (24 years ago, 29-Feb-00, to lugnet.space)