 Robotics / 5859
Re: pneumatics & mindstorms?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 09:33:04 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Joel Shafer writes:

I built a compressor with the large pump with the spring removed.  It
worked but it was too slow .  It took 3-4 minutes before enough pressure
was available to open a big piston just once.  The compressor had to be
geared very slow to provide enough torque to operate.

I had exactly the same experience. I used that kind of compressor on my S5
robot many months ago, it's slow and unefficient.
The small pumps work much better. Ralph Hempel has a very good double action
compressor in his page:

http://www.bmts.com/~rhempel/lego/compressor/default.html

I like his design. I built one and works great. The only minor limitation is
that it doesn't use all the stroke of the pumps.

I just finished a double action, quadruple pump compressor for my large r2-d2
style robot (in progress).  I geared it down a bit more than the Ralph's one
to get higher pressure. The loss in air volume is more than compensated by the
fact that there are four pumps instead of two. But the look is not so elegant
and compact.

One of the good things with pneumatics is that you can drive your compressor
with an indipendent battery box not to use up one of the valuable RCX outputs.

Mario

http://www.geocities.com/~marioferrari