 Robotics / 167
Re: pneumatics & mindstorms?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build
Date:
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 05:41:52 GMT

Thanks for the pointers to your and Mike's sites!
Big help.....
Which motor (5114 or the newer 5225) has
given you the best results?
- - - Nick - - -

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Nick Taylor writes:
Rcvd my pneumatic components yesterday ... and
am having doubts about their practicality.  The smaller
cylinder and pump (5116 & 5117) are not powerful
enough to do much of amything of any use.

The small pump makes a fine compressor which lots of us use. I agree that the
small cylinder is not that useful.

The
larger set (5107 & 5108) have enough power to
lift and hold a full can of beer ... but powering the
pump is a problem.  The 5225 motor (the one that
comes with MindStorm) is very difficult to gear ...
I haven't found an approriate ratio as yet.  1:15 stalls
the motor when pressure is built-up in the tank, and
1:45 never builds sufficient pressure.  Need to do
more playing!

Are you using a pressure limit switch to shut off the compressor? lu posted a
design a while back which I captured on my site. Although I used it with the
design for a compressor that Michael Powell posted which uses the smaller
compressor cylinder, it might work for you.

Surf here:
http://my.voyager.net/lar/pneu.html
which will also lead you here to see the compressor I refered to above:
http://www.sonic.net/~rci/legocompressor.htm

However, I will say that I struggled to put together a multigang compressor for
several days using 4 of the bigger cylinders and could not find an arrangement
of gears that worked for me. That just means I'm not mechanically inclined, not
that it can't be done.

++Lar