 Robotics / 24124
Re: An Idea for new Mindstorm
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 24 Jun 2005 23:55:43 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, jp4space@portugalmail.com wrote:
Citando Alexander Horoshilov <hor@demo.ru>:

In lugnet.robotics, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

Sorry if I misunderstood you.  But, actually, I was talking about the blue Scout,
not the Microscout (from the droid developer kit)

Oh, It may be because of my cumbersome explanation. I do not have DDK and do
not
know about that Scout abilities. But I still expect that it is limited to
some
built-in programs only. Is it?

So, what programs do you think TLC should write?  And, how much would you pay for a
program?

What programs? It is tough question. Classics like line following and walker
would be a good start.

I personally, think that price of $10-20 for the sotware only would be a fine
deal. Provided that production costs are about $1-2 per item (it is why SD
cards
are not so good - they cost at least $5-10).

Personally, I don't agree with factory-made programs. Apart from lowering the
learning curve (as referred in another message), it deprives us from what I
think to be the main idea around Mindstorms and programmable LEGO: freedom!
freedom to create what you want, to add the sensors and the motors you wish
and, most of all, to control your creations' behaviour!
Imagine you wanted to create a robot that walked forward with a touch sensor
attached on the front. When it touched an object it would walk back, spin twice
and go forward again in the same direction. It's a somewhat "stupid" program...
But hey!, it's freedom! You want to create a program like this, so you create
it! Who's gonna stop you? Even if it is a complete non-sense, you have the
freedom to create it. But do you think TLC would sell a program like this for 10
$-20$? And even if they did, who would buy it? I wouldn't pay half a dollar for
it... Because even if i need the program, i'd prefer to program it myself:
that's the challenge on mindstorms, that's where resides all the fun =) TLC
would be limiting our freedom to create and to program our robots. And that
would bring some headaches to a lot of people who want to program their own
creations...
Sincerely, I don't think that those "pre-programmed programs" would be very
popular... But it's a new idea, anyway ;)
Best regards,
João Pedro

I have to agree. If you don't want to build programmable robots, why not just
build a motorized model with a motor and battery box.

The whole point of Mindstorms, as I see it, is that you "add" programming to a
structure of Lego elements to make it function in an appropriate manner. What
are the chances that some preprogrammed sequence of instructions are correct for
the mechanical structure you just invented? (It is called Robotics Invention
System.)

I understand there are a proportion of Lego fans who simply build models
according to the set instructions, a very valid thing to do for some of the
really great sets - I do it myself and pop the finished models on my display
shelves - but I don't think Mindstorms is one of those sets. I think it is meant
to be played with, and I think part of playing with Mindstorms is tinkering
around with programming. I think TLG made it easy for kids with their GUI
programming system, and I agree with a post elsewhere on this thread that 12
years old is higher than it needs to be. I know of quite a few younger kids out
there who are at home with the Lego software for Mindstorms.

JB