 Robotics / 24113
Re: An Idea for new Mindstorm
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:51:06 GMT

Personally, I don't agree with factory-made programs. Apart from lowering the
learning curve (as referred in another message), it deprives us from what I
think to be the main idea around Mindstorms and programmable LEGO: freedom!
freedom to create what you want, to add the sensors and the motors you wish
and, most of all, to control your creations' behaviour!
Imagine you wanted to create a robot that walked forward with a touch sensor
attached on the front. When it touched an object it would walk back, spin twice
and go forward again in the same direction. It's a somewhat "stupid" program...

"The idea" is to made Mindstorms attractive for those who do not like
programming. If you do like, then you need and extra kit which will allow you to
create your own programs like current RCX. You will able to create your own
program. So there are both possibilities, while now is the only way - to make
your own robot you have to learn some programing.

It is something like building with instructions and building without them. Model
in instructions also is limited, but many, many people like instructions.
Ready-to-use programs must not replace custom programming. It is a good start
point - someone who played with ready program will try to change it and study
programming, its why I said about lower learning curve.

Why people with large LEGO collection buy new sets? For good design, for new
parts, for cheap prices, for other unknown reasons. All these reasons are also
valid for programs. It is why preprogrammed media must be very cheap - clever
program will attract even professional programmers, although they are expected
to be popular for people who like robots but do not like programming.