 Robotics / 24140
Re: An Idea for new Mindstorms - event potential?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 28 Jun 2005 23:44:35 GMT

Citando Steve Baker <sjbaker1@airmail.net>:

Justin wrote:

  > A fly can land on the ceiling not
> because it is smart (it isn't), but because it's body is built such that
the
> laws of physics themselves automate a process that would be prohibitively
> complex to compute, etc etc).

Don't be too hard on the fly's brain.  A housefly has about a third of a
million neurons.

If you think of a neuron as being about the power of a transistor - then
there is a computer that's more complex than a 386 - but less complex than
a 486.

If you think of a neuron as being an entire logic gate (which is probably
closer
to the truth), then the raw part count is about as powerful as an early
Pentium.

Neurons are slower than computer logic gates - but that's more than
compensated
for by the enormous degree of connectivity and parallelism in an animal
brain.

Overall, a common housefly probably has more available compute power than
a modern desktop PC.

HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
HomePage : http://www.sjbaker.org
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net
             http://tuxkart.sf.net http://prettypoly.sf.net

WOOOWW!!! I'll be paying a lot more attention to flies after reading this!
I can barely wait to see a blue screen on a fly ;) do flies have
ctrl+alt+del ? ;)
keep posting about the flies... ;) i'm really interested! i'm taking biology
next year... =P
Email gratuito com 2 000 MB
Espaço para guardar 20 anos de correio
http://www.portugalmail.pt/2000mb