 Robotics / 24123
Re: An Idea for new Mindstorm
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 25 Jun 2005 01:17:56 GMT

Alexander Horoshilov wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

Sorry if I misunderstood you.  But, actually, I was talking about the blue Scout,
not the Microscout (from the droid developer kit)

Oh, It may be because of my cumbersome explanation. I do not have DDK and do not
know about that Scout abilities. But I still expect that it is limited to some
built-in programs only. Is it?

The Blue Scout can be programmed just like the RCX - you can use NQC and send
programs to it in exactly the same way with the IR tower.

The main difference is that the Scout has less memory - so only small programs
will fit.

So, what programs do you think TLC should write?  And, how much would you pay for a
program?

What programs? It is tough question. Classics like line following and walker
would be a good start.

I personally, think that price of $10-20 for the sotware only would be a fine
deal. Provided that production costs are about $1-2 per item (it is why SD cards
are not so good - they cost at least $5-10).

I'm *very* skeptical about the market for programs.  For starters, you'd have
to have your programs be adaptable to different robot designs.

It's all very well to say "Buy a Line Follower Program for $10" - but would that
program work with different motor gearing?  Different sensor placement?

Probably not - robot design is all about the synergy of software and mechanical
stuff.

However, it's easy to test.  If you believe there is such a market, write a bunch
of programs - stick them up on a web-site and stick a paypal button on it...watch
the money roll in...or not.

Personally - I think there is ALREADY a business like this - Lego Mindstorms
books.  There are bunches of them out there - they all have software listings
and many come with CD's or Floppies with the programs stored right there on
them.

HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
HomePage : http://www.sjbaker.org
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net