 Robotics / 24104
Re: An Idea for new Mindstorm
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 23 Jun 2005 21:27:20 GMT

On Thu, June 23, 2005 3:08 pm, Alexander Horoshilov said:
Recently, I had a good discussion (in Russian) about possible ideas for new
Mindstorm products.

1. Made new RCX brick do not depend on computer. • ...
2. Along with some starter kit prepare a lot of expansion kits with (1) program
ready to be plugged into RCX, (2) LEGO elements needed and (3) instructions. • ...
Computer is not required, even
program is already prepared and debugged - it will make the kits much more
attractive to many people (a lot of them likes to build with instructions). It
is why I think these kits must be more popular.

Sounds like a good idea.  In fact, LEGO has produced several bricks that didn't
require a computer.  But, I don't think they were more popular than the
"programmable" type that do require a computer.

Given that LEGO started making the RCX (which requires a PC) and the Scout (does not
require PC) at the same time, and has continued making the RCX for several years,
while the Scout didn't last very long, I think they've already tested that option.

If the problem is a PC, it shouldn't be too hard to find an old PC that should work
just fine.  For all my LEGO stuff, I currently use a 200 mhz laptop, which cost me
$250 about three years ago.  I'm sure there are old desktop computers all over that
people are trying to get rid of, and would work just fine.

Steve