 Robotics / 24119
Re: An Idea for new Mindstorm
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 24 Jun 2005 19:57:33 GMT

Wouldn't writing some programs to go with the
constructopedia that ships with the Mindstorms kit be
a giveaway lossleader/download to introduce users to
buying 'your' build instructions and programs? Say
that you do a full constructopedia and write programs
for that particular invention. Perhaps you could sell
these over the Internet rather than wait for TLC to do
it?

I still think that plug-in conception is still very important. Download program
from PC - is complex task, yes it is. Why do not eleminate this step?

Some of the other ideas you had are implementable. I
think that it is mindsensors dot com that has an I2C
addon for the RCX, and that would allow you to build a
small uP based brick that has as much flash as you
want in it to store programs, write them, etc... and
then have that communicate with the RCX(s) over I2C.

Additionally, if you are fortunate enough to have a
PDA that is programmable and comes with IR, the
chances are high that you could program it to talk
with the RCX in lieu of using a desktop computer. It
would be a lot of work and not necessarily make things
any easier, but it would eliminate the tower and
desktop pc from the picture. I know that I could write
NQC on a pda if I needed to, but I'm not sure how many
other people would want to.

Main goal of computer exclusion is to decrease complexity, not costs of starter
set (which still may be decreased), nor additional equipment required (computer
itself). Imagine following ad on the box: "Make your own robot, no PC required"
:)

Just some thoughts...