 Robotics / 24106
Re: An Idea for new Mindstorm
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 24 Jun 2005 03:56:10 GMT

On Thu, June 23, 2005 9:45 pm, Alexander Horoshilov said:
is why I think these kits must be more popular.

Sounds like a good idea.  In fact, LEGO has produced several bricks that didn't
require a computer.  But, I don't think they were more popular than the
"programmable" type that do require a computer.

Given that LEGO started making the RCX (which requires a PC) and the Scout (does
not
require PC) at the same time, and has continued making the RCX for several years,
while the Scout didn't last very long, I think they've already tested that option.

It is not what I wrote about. Microscout had very limited functionality in
either programming abilities and in/out control as well. To be really expandable
all abilities of RCX must be kept (or refined).

Sorry if I misunderstood you.  But, actually, I was talking about the blue Scout,
not the Microscout (from the droid developer kit)

In case of computer the problem is not its price, but complexity. And I think,
if someone buys LEGO at regular basis, with current prices, it is not problem to
buy computer as well. To load program from computer one have to do a lot of
additional steps - it is more complex than attach some preprogrammed media.

If expansion kit includes ready-to-use program and LEGO elements, learning curve
is lower. No computer, no programming. Just attach the preprogrammed media to
the RCX as usually bricks are attached.

And TLC get the ability to charge for software.

So, what programs do you think TLC should write?  And, how much would you pay for a
program?

Steve