 Robotics / 24118
Re: An Idea for new Mindstorm
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 24 Jun 2005 19:48:05 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Rob Hendrix wrote:
The RCX still has all the functionality we've come to know and love, but
it has a
bunch of "get-started" programs, for those not ready, or not interested in
programming.

In the future, they could make a more advanced pack of programs, that we
could
download (if you want to hook your RCX to a PC), without charging us $$.

Would that do what you want?

Steve

Actually you just hit on something that would be a great asset for those of
people who:

*aren't interested in programming
*don't have the required skills
*don't have the time to write programs
*are extremely lazy like myself and are looking for an easy solution :P
*are in a catagory I failed to mention here that apply...

Yes, it is very good summary for people, who are targeted. I think that many of
them do not like current RCX sets, but may like if something is changed.

It would be great to have a "code database" somewhere for people to go
download the programs to their pc and then to their RCX.  Of course,
instructions would have to be included to explain which sensor, motor, etc
went on which RCX port.  Simple programs for simple machines could very
easily be traded this way.  More complex machines with items like rotation
sensors to detect end travel would be a little more digfficult to trade due
to the fact that one persons mechanism might have a longer/shorter travel or
a different gear ratio...

Rob

Sorry, I do no think that this codebase would be very popular without support
from TLC. Such a support is still possible - something like what legofactory.com
is intended for. But first steps are still to produce such kits by TLC, I think.