 Robotics / 24132
Re: An Idea for new Mindstorm
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 28 Jun 2005 02:39:18 GMT

I'm *very* skeptical about the market for programs.  For starters, you'd have
to have your programs be adaptable to different robot designs.

It's all very well to say "Buy a Line Follower Program for $10" - but would that
program work with different motor gearing?  Different sensor placement?

Probably not - robot design is all about the synergy of software and mechanical
stuff.

The kit must include the program and all elements needed for specific design. It
is important - the program only will not work. Most people will not bother with
searching/buying separate parts. So there is no place for different designs -
only those which are shown in building instructions.

However, it's easy to test.  If you believe there is such a market, write a bunch
of programs - stick them up on a web-site and stick a paypal button on it...watch
the money roll in...or not.

Without plug-and-play program attachment the usage will not reach the level of
simplicity which is needed. It's why such business case can be hardly tested.

Personally - I think there is ALREADY a business like this - Lego Mindstorms
books.  There are bunches of them out there - they all have software listings
and many come with CD's or Floppies with the programs stored right there on
them.

It was already mentioned (I do not remember who said it), that LEGO building
instructions are very universal - they do not need translations to different
languages. It would be good to bring Mindstorm to this level too.