 Publishing / 696
Re: [ldraw.org] Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.publish
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 17:17:56 GMT

At 11:19 AM 8/20/99 , Steve Bliss wrote:
On Fri, 20 Aug 1999 15:59:36 GMT, "John VanZwieten"
<john_vanzwieten@email.msn.com> wrote:

What about the brick fading from outline to raytrace as the logo.  That • seems to
me different enough from the LEGO uses of bricks, and it is certainly more
original.

I'm not sure how well that image would work as a small icon.  But it would
be cool.

On the small logos it probably would not work, so another solution would
have to be devised for that.

As long as it was a color other than red, it would probably be OK.

I'd prefer to keep it red.  I don't think a wireframe fade would be
considered under TLG's trade dress if a squabble arose.

A plain wireframe brick would be good as a logo, as well.  Particularly if
it did the lines-for-studs presentation of LEdit.  But that might have the
problem of looking distinctly not-LEGO, which would send the wrong message
to newcomers.  They might think, "Oh, this is a sort-of LEGO thing, but
they do weird wires instead of studs."

I would not like a wireframe brick as the logo for the simple reason that
it would not add the splash of color a colored brick adds to the
site.  When designing the logo, I don't think I had any other color in
consideration besides red.  But changing the color of the logo means taking
a new digital photograph of a 2x3, and achieving the same precise angle on
it will be tough.  Unless I could play in Photoshop and see how the
hue/saturation really can work :)

OK, never mind about the LEdit-style.  An LDLite-style wireframe would be
good.

What would be neat is to use the keyboard tile and computer screen brick to
make a virtual image of a LEGO computer.  But then we not only have the
issue of trade dress, but copyright violations!  Why don't we just turn the
bricks upside down, and show off the patented tubes?  Argh!

LOL :)

-Tim Courtney
  ldraw.org Project Coordinator

http://www.ldraw.org