 Publishing / 704
703  |  705
Subject:
backgrounds logo image (was: Re: [ldraw.org] Update)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 23:05:18 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> writes:

Todd Lehman wrote:

Fibblesnork banner???

c /banner/logo/ and go look at my LEGO(R) front page. You'll see what I
mean. It's a banner or logo and it promotes your site. Glad to do it,
mind you, but feel that my point is valid. Most everything else there
loads from elsewhence.

Oh!  I see what you mean now.  You placed a copy of the flb-logo-small.gif
image at the bottom of your page.

Hrrm.  Re-reading the Terms of Use on the

   http://www.fibblesnork.com/lego/backgrounds/

page, I guess that point #1 is ambiguous...

   1.  These images are original artwork and are Copyright ©1996-1999 by
       Todd Lehman.  You are granted the non-exclusive right to republish
       these graphic images on your own web site, subject to the
       restrictions below.

Technically, it looks like it does allow people to put copies of
flb-logo-small.gif on their own web pages, since it could be construed as
one of "these graphic images."  But that was never my intention; by "these
graphic images," I always meant "these graphic *background* images" --
meaning the backgrounds only, not the logo.  (It never even occurred to me
that anyone would snag a copy of the logo!  :-)

OK, thanks for drawing this to my attention...  I reworded point #1:

   1.  These images are original artwork and are Copyright ©1996-1999 by
       Todd Lehman.  You are granted the non-exclusive right to republish
       these graphic background images on your own web site, subject to the
       restrictions below.

and since the logo now contains no brick (just text), I replaced the graphic
version of the logo with a text version (so it's now rendered in text).  Not
much of a logo anymore, but I don't suppose it ever really needed one.

You can consider yourself "grandfathered" if you want to keep the logo up on
your page...but note that it was designed to be displayed against a black or
very dark gray background rather than a blue background.  :-)

--Todd