 Publishing / 719
Re: backgrounds logo image (was: Re: [ldraw.org] Update)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 1999 20:58:49 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> writes:

OK, OK. I still think I'm right though, just too lazy to compose as long
a reply as you did.

I _don't_ necessarily think you're _not_ right (vis-à-vis deep linking of
banner and button images).  It's just such an insignificant thing to worry
about in the grand scheme of things, IMHO.  Especially when deep linking
presents problems that image-copying doesn't.  (And I understand that image
copying presents problems that deep linking doesn't.)

I'm arguing about something which I think is to YOUR
benefit, so I'll stop. I may be trying to teach the proverbial pig to
sing. I certainly seem to have gotten muddier than I intended.

I cannot fathom someone wanting to include a button or banner but being
unwilling to keep a copy of it along with the other files on thier pages.
Allowing deep-linking may increase the average quality across all
occurrences of the images long-term, but I seriously doubt that it would
increase the raw number of occurrences of images by any meaningful number.
Notwithstanding, I do agree that allowing deep linking in this case may be
a beneficial, if not a wise, policy to adopt, if the risks as outlined
earlier can be minimized.

Note that in the case of Fibblesnork, you explicitly require a link
back, but under your current interpretation, it has to be a text link.
Yawn. Rather early 90s. :-)

Uf-da.  Now where does it state *that*?

One line below what you just revised :-)...  Quoting from the Terms of
Use:

2. Every page you use with one of these backgrounds must include a link
back to this page so that everyone knows the origin and can find all
the colors. The URL for this page is
http://www.fibblesnork.com/lego/backgrounds/

I don't see anything there stating that the links back have to be text
links.

--Todd