Re: [ldraw.org] Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.publish
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 02:32:37 GMT

At 04:19 PM 8/19/99 , Todd Lehman wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, "Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com> writes:

I just updated the ldraw.org main page - adding an article about MLCad
and a

Awesome!!!

Yeah, I saw that program and downloaded it and just had to write about it
:)  Mike fully cooperated with my efforts to promote it (I wonder why) ;)
and is very open to suggestions for future features.

link to the new ldraw.org linking images.  Check it out!

I'm starting to get worried that the bright red 2x3 brick appearing along
the title of all the pages and appearing in all the linking images:

   http://www.ldraw.org/linking.html

may cause confusion among average consumers and therefore concern at TLG.
One of the trade dress[1] items that TLG feels strongly about is the display
of a rectangular bricks, especially those shown at an angle.

It may be enough simply to acknowledge TLG's trade dress rights on the
ldraw.org web pages (it's probably safest to write and ask TLG of course),
but it's always possible that doing that might not be enough to allay
potential concerns.

Though this may be a way of covering our bases, I also think that writing
TLG would cause unnecessary alarm and possibly concern them where they
previously were not concerned at all.  I think acknowledging it on the
legal page is sufficient.

Compare, for example, the red 2x3 brick on www.ldraw.org with:

* The red 2x4 brick in the long-established LEGO SYSTEM logo (the cross
  in the 'T')
* The red 2x2 brick in the new LEGO Basic/Classic logo (the dot in the 'i')

Do the www.ldraw.org images differ enough not to cause confusion in the
minds of the average consumer?  Do the images differ enough not to raise
concerns at TLG?  Might there perhaps be some other image which is less
risky?

But also note that the Lucida Console font used is just as much a part of
the ldraw.org trade dress (if you will) as the bright red 2x3 brick.  I
wouldn't have the 2x3 displayed to represent ldraw.org without accompanying
it with the text 'ldraw.org' in Lucida Console.  Lego uses different fonts
such as the 'Just Imagine...' splash screen font and the common image font
on lego.com for its site's style. [1]

One of the main reasons I chose the red 2x3 as a part of ldraw.org's
identity was the use of it in icons and symbols representing other aspects
of LDraw itself.  Steve uses it on LDAO icons, and Lars (correct?) uses it
on L3P icons.  LDraw is just as much creating an identity with the 2x3 as
TLG has created one with the 2x4 and 2x2.

--Todd

[1] some basic trade dress information:
    http://www.sughrue.com/articles/tdmk/tdbasics.html

I skimmed parts of this page and now understand more of what you're talking
about.  Yes, you're right, it is a valid issue...but I think not alerting
TLG to the problem would be the wiser solution.  A simple disclaimer would
more than do in this case, IMO.

[1] BTW - Christoph Bartneck, who worked on the lego.com site, did not
recall the names of these fonts that he used in designing the site.  I've
had a fair amount of contact with him via email. (http://www.bartneck.com)

-Tim <><

http://www.zacktron.com
http://www.ldraw.org
AIM:   timcourtne
ICQ:   23951114

Commonwealth Edison: What do you do with OUR power?

Get paid to surf the web!  Visit:
http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=DGO655