 Publishing / 681
Re: [ldraw.org] Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 07:39:28 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> writes:
   http://www.fibblesnork.com/lego/backgrounds/
[...]

Strikes me as a strong argument for allowing banners and other items to
be retrieved directly from your server instead of requiring that we host
them in our space. (1) My LUGNET button is back level, and now my
Fibblesnork banner is too.  [...]

Fibblesnork banner???

1 - speaking of which, you require us to host banners you display. Makes
sense as it allows us to revise them. Mine is sorely in need of
revision... Turnabout is fair play, I think. I would argue that these
(the LUGNET button, the Fibblesnork banner) are adverts for your site(s)
(as is the CLSoTW logo) and thus you should host them so you can control
their appearance, as well as so you bear the cost of adverting your
site.  I hadn't thought of that before!

SOP for buttons on the web is for people to make local copies, because pages
load faster that way -- the client's browser is only making an HTTP
connection to a single server.  I certainly practice deep linking to offsite
images from the CLSotW banner page, but those are all with permission of the
banner contributors.  On the flipside, allowing any deep linking from the
outside in only (IMHO) increases the probability that someone will do it in
places you don't want them to.  Besides, even if you always wanted people to
link directly to the buttons, people would still make their own local copies
anyway because it lets them edit their personal pages offline.  It's much
easier to tilt that direction than the deep-linking direction.

Someday maybe the banners will be hosted onsite.  That's the way it *should*
be, IMHO.

--Todd