 Publishing / 707
Re: backgrounds logo image (was: Re: [ldraw.org] Update)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 1999 00:43:15 GMT

I KNEW I should not have gotten into this.

The outcome I desired was that you'd agree that you should host banner
ads/logos/whatevers used by others to promote your sites, just as
everyone else does. In fact many people actually REQUIRE it, they
DISALLOW taking their logo and copying it for local hosting.

The outcome I got was that you've taken away permission for others to
post your banner ads of one site (fibblesnork) rather than addressing my
point.

Let's try again. You recently revised your LUGNET(TM) logo. Would you
agree that putting that logo on my (or any other) page does promote
LUGNET, that is, your site? Would you agree that it is desirable that
you have control of your logo, to the extent of being able to effect
changes in it to make it look different or correct errors? Would you
agree that it is not reasonable to ask everyone to obtain new copies
whenever you decide to make a change?

If you agree with these points, it is reasonable for you to allow others
to use banner ads or logos *promoting your site* that are hosted on your
site rather than asking people to host them on their own site.

While the recent flap about pause images was very justified, in that
there was no benefit to you from providing the bandwidth, so why should
you provide it, this is different, don't you agree? If not, why not?

Note that in the case of Fibblesnork, you explicitly require a link
back, but under your current interpretation, it has to be a text link.
Yawn. Rather early 90s. :-)

Should this be in .admin.general? Feel free to redirect followups there.

lugnet.