 Publishing / 722
Re: backgrounds logo image (was: Re: [ldraw.org] Update)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 1999 23:35:12 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:
I don't see anything there stating that the links back have to be text
links.

Well if they're not text links, what are they to be then?

Use your imagination.  If someone wanted, they could use any of:

   * Plain text (obviously :)

   * Rendered text, as seen for example in the left column of
     <http://www.ldraw.org/>

   * A screenshot/thumbnail (almost certainly fair use if it's not too big),
     with or without accompanying text

   * A picture of a polar bear in a snowstorm

   * A picture of a polka-dotted hippopotamus dancing on the head of a pin

   * etc.

Just because no graphic image is supplied for the backgrounds sub-area
doesn't mean someone can't make and use their own if they wanted to.  (Not
that anyone would really ever probably want to make their own, when the
background images already speak for themselves, but anyway.)

You've removed the logo, right?

No.  I removed the embedded flb-logo-small.gif image from the HTML code on
the splash page.  The logo is still there, but it now exists as HTML text
rather than an embedded image.

So text is only choice available.

No.  It never was the only choice available (for links), and isn't now
either.

Under the first numbered item, nothing other than backgrounds themselves
is allowed to be copied and you don't support linking in.

Correct.

I suppose one could compose one's OWN graphic logo for Fibblesnork, but
that rather flagrantly defeats the notion that you, Todd, should have
control of what the logo looks like, no?

To compose a logo for it would be one thing; to use an image in tandem with
a link is another thing.

In the grand scheme of things this IS small potatoes.

Indeed it is.  However, you wouldn't expect me to not to address incorrect
statements about the rules of linking, would you?

--Todd