 Publishing / 4615
Re: RSS vs. Atom (was: Attention All RSS Geeks)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 03:53:01 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.publish, Dan Boger wrote:
On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 11:20:46PM +0000, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
That's a good question. I do think most feeds will end up being served
from a centralized server, but that's not an absolute necessity. RSS
links can be distributed, as in peer-to-peer networking, but it would
be nice to have a centralized place. Probably the same server space as
the DTD. It may end up being LEGOFan.org or something else, that's
really TBD.

Why have a centralized server?  I'd expect there be a list of feeds
someplace, and maybe mirroring of feeds...  But it would make a lot of
sense to have each feed hosted off the service that generates it.
Unless LENNI wants to support remote publishing?

I saw a centralised server as an aggregator, not the primary source of the
original content. I think there's a desire to be able to aggregate feeds from
many places and present them blended together. Once aggregated, some specific
filtering could be done either at the server end or at the receiving end.

That's pretty much what I'm thinking too... provide tools for anybody to publish
LENNI-enhanced feeds from their own sources, and provide other tools for
readers, either web-based or desktop/compiled. And as a side benefit, I also see
the ability of custom web-based aggregators to build onto this, for use in
calendars, and such.

So there would be a bunch of separate feeds, like there are today, and there'll
probably be at least one big web-based aggregator, something like LENNInews.org
or something, with a customizable newspaper and calendar format. But there are
almost certainly going to be subsets of something like that out there as well,
as people build their own custom display using selected feeds. That's what I
really like about this - it's open for people to do what they want, if the tools
and basic format are available. At least I hope it works that way. We certainly
have the geekpower in this community to do this, if we so desire.

- Kelly