 Publishing / 4599
Re: RSS vs. Atom (was: Attention All RSS Geeks)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:44:14 GMT

Hi Kelly,

In lugnet.publish, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   RSS v2.0 Pro & Con list
... * Pro: Extensible via namespaces to achieve what we want (I think)

As said earlier by mail, I think that this is the most important thing to have implemented in a “LEGO community related” newssystem.

Since I got no replies after I mentioned it in the globalAFOL group, I thought the participated persons aren’t in urgent need of it.

I started to work on my own publishing system using RSS, but my goal was to provide also particular RSS-items seperated and sorted by different criterias. Would be a one-way-street too, but at least one would have had the possibilty to get news from 1000steine without scanning the whole RSS-index manually.

Of course, if you get the LENNI-ball rolling again, this would be fantastic and a much better solution (as long as given standards are accepted by LEGO site owners).

My suggestions are:
  • Using RSS and creating specific (but standardized) tags for LEGO related parts of each RSS-item

  • Providing the news from all participating sites on a central place (e.g. legofan.org)

  • Providing it not seperated by source site (like it’s working on legofan.org at the moment), but one big RSS-index with possibilty to filter and show these news by the given criterias and (most important for sharing all the news) the possibility to get RSS-items generated by these criterias for the use on ones own site.
That’s what I would like to see :-)

Leg Godt!

Rene www.1000steine.de