 Publishing / 4604
Re: Attention all RSS geeks!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 15:37:29 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.publish, Dan Boger wrote:

(a lot of very informative stuff that made my head spin a bit, although I now
think I know which Dan favors which does carry some weight with me, Dan's often
right, technically... )

So what's the net here?

That there are two methods on which we could base LENNI, and it's fairly
apparent to me that one needs to be chosen over the other. Dual development is a
hindrance in the long run.

Does this decision of whether to use RSS vs. Atom have to be taken now?

Not this minute, but definitely soon. I think the next phase will need to be a
selection of features (regardless of platform), and shortly thereafter a spec
based on platform (RSS or Atom).

What are the consequences of choosing one and changing to the other?
What are the consequences of not standardising on one at this point and letting
individual sites choose as they like?

We could do that, but it would kind of fracture the unity that's really the
heart of the project - competing standards and all that. One of my initial goals
was to make it simple for the non-geek (e.g. those NOT reading this thread) to
implement a feed and acquire news, with a low learning curve.

I guess I am interested in what the community impact is and what the timelines
look like for stuff.

There are really four groups that are affected:
1. The LENNI development group (de facto anyone participating in this
discussion)

2. Software developers who produce the actual XML parsers and aggregators that
will be LENNI-aware

3. Content owners (web site admins, bloggers, anyone who creates content they'd
like to distribute)

4. Content consumers (potentially everyone interested in LEGO-related
information)

I think the "pain" threshhold should decrease exponentially: the dev group does
the hard part, then software developers simply follow the spec to produce code
that content owners and consumers can easily implement.

I suspect that the GlobalAFOL concall this weekend will
toucn on it, ne?

With a high concentration of interested participants (as in, almost everyone
who's chimed in here) involved on that call, I'd guess so. :)

Proposed timeline:
1. Platform decision by 30 August (after the call)

2. Features and enhancements to selected platform solidified by 7 September
(after Labor Day)

3. Initial spec and RFC completed by 13 September (I'll probably take that)

4. Spec ratified by interested participants TBD

5. Software implementation TBD

6. Initiative soft launch TBD (approaching interested content owners for initial
implementation)

7. Initiative hard launch TDB (getting the word out to as many people as
possible after the software is available)

- Kelly