 Publishing / 4600
Re: RSS vs. Atom (was: Attention All RSS Geeks)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:29:55 GMT

In lugnet.publish, René Hoffmeister wrote:
   Hi Kelly,

In lugnet.publish, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   RSS v2.0 Pro & Con list
... * Pro: Extensible via namespaces to achieve what we want (I think)

As said earlier by mail, I think that this is the most important thing to have implemented in a “LEGO community related” newssystem.

Since I got no replies after I mentioned it in the globalAFOL group, I thought the participated persons aren’t in urgent need of it.

Sorry about that, got distracted! Mostly BrickFest, some other things. Back on it again, and your email from 1 August was very helpful in setting the direction for LENNI.

   My suggestions are:
  • Using RSS and creating specific (but standardized) tags for LEGO related parts of each RSS-item

I think both Atom and RSS as a base would allow us to do this.

  • Providing the news from all participating sites on a central place (e.g. legofan.org)

LEGOFan.org is a possibility, or one (or several) other sites could host information about it. That’s one of the things I think is perfect for this type of project - there doesn’t need to be a central site (except for the namespace DTD).

  • Providing it not seperated by source site (like it’s working on legofan.org at the moment), but one big RSS-index with possibilty to filter and show these news by the given criterias and (most important for sharing all the news) the possibility to get RSS-items generated by these criterias for the use on ones own site.

I’d love to see as many sites as possible take advantage of LENNI-enhanced features, but I think it’s also important to not exclude “raw” feeds as well, e.g. those without the extra LEGO-specific elements.

Also, you’d specified earlier:
Subject, Message, Date, Author, Link to a related picture (optional), Link to the original message or to further information (optional)

I’d like to add things like Event Date Start, Event Date End, Theme(s), Age (e.g. kids or adults or all), etc.

Is there anything else that should be added as a feature? Keep in mind that implementation of these features will depend on custom-developed XML generators and parsers/aggregators, so let’s not get too wild. :)

Thanks,
Kelly