 Publishing / 4597
Re: Attention all RSS geeks!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 21:43:08 GMT

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 04:44:47PM +0000, Jake McKee wrote:
Even if we do go with RSS, I'd hope that LENNY will have a very well
defined spec, so that we can avoid these kind of issues.

Well, the nice thing about RSS/Atom vs. Browsers is that
incompatibilities (at least in theory) shouldn't make for radically
different experiences like browser differences can/do.

Well, as long as the content you're feeding it is pure ascii.  For
instance, getting LUGNET posts to be valid RSS was not as easy as I
thought it would be.  Making one for 1000stein would be even harder.
Dealing with charsets, embedded images and markup, all require thought.
And since RSS doesn't actually say how to do it right, we're all
guessing, and every aggregator is guessing as well.  Not surprising that
everyone doesn't guess the exact same thing, right?  :)

Dan

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com