 Publishing / 4591
Re: Attention all RSS geeks!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish, lugnet.general, lugnet.fun.community, lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.org
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:39:03 GMT

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 04:39:07AM +0000, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
* Given the objectives listed above, is RSS the best platform to use
  in solving these issues?

I've become convinced that Atom might be a better solution.  If only
because it has better mechanisms to ensure that entries are identified
uniquely, and support for meta information about authors, etc.

* Is a modified RSS spec (e.g. using a
  <http://www.disobey.com/detergent/2002/extendingrss2/ custom namespace>\[8\])
  the best method of solving these objectives? If not, what else would be?

If we're using RSS, using a custom namespace would probably be a good
idea, with the effort made to keep as much information as possible in
the standard, "base" tags.

*   Does RSS need to be extended at all to meet these needs? Is there
   another way of using standard RSS to solve these objectives?

Probably not - which is why Atom might be a better solution.  Note, I do
say "might" because I'm not as well versed in Atom yet.

* Assuming the answers on 1-3 are "yes", is RSS 2.0 the best version
  to work with? (I think it is, since it's relatively simple like
  0.91, but can use namespaces without having to include a ton of RDF
  crud like in v1.0.)

The problem with RSS 2.0 is that it's a really really vague standard.
That means the different clients might render the exact same posts in
different ways, making the publishing a lot more complex.

* What extensions should be included in the initial LENNI spec? I
  envision at least the following item-level additions:
( had to reformat the FTX list to plain text, just so the reply would
make sense)
  - Age (AFOL / KFOL / FOL)
  - Theme (how would this be standardized, enforced, and updated?)
  - Calendar Start Date
  - Calendar End Date
  - Calendar Location
  - Calendar Cost (how to deal with different currencies?)

Those all look good.  Maybe have a place to include the "clubs"
affiliated with a post/event?  Multiples of "Club name", "Club URL"...
I'm sure more would come up.

* Syntax: I'm still learning about syntax, but right now I'm thinking
  something like the following might be best:¬

(more FTX reformatting)
<rss version="2.0" xmlns="http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss"
     xmlns:bricks="http://www.anagrafyxx.com/lenni/bricks#">
<channel>
  <title>LENNI Specification</title>
  <link>http://www.anagrafyxx.com/lenni/</link>
  <item>
    <title>A simple example</title>
    <description>A simple example</description>
    <bricks:fanage>AFOL</bricks:fanage>

Shouldn't this be a numerical age?  Otherwise we need to define what's
AFOL...

    <bricks:theme>Trains</bricks:theme>

How do we support multiple themes?  Comma separated list?  Make
parsing/filtering a bit more complex.  Multiple entries maybe?

   </item>
</channel>
</rss>

* Should the updated syntax be channel-level or item-level?

The additional tags should probably be item-level, but I'm not sure if
that's what you're asking?

* Should or can Themes be multiple choice?

You should be able to have multiple themes, but not from a set list.
New themes get added all the time, we shouldn't have to update the spec
each time just to say "Fantasy Mice" is now a valid theme :)

* What type of "approval" process should be put in place for either
  news or calendar events, if any? What's to prevent a malicious
  person from entering XXX type of content on a KFOL feed?

Nothing at all.  And I can't imagine how you can force an approval
process?  The only thing users can do is be aware where the item came
from, and apply judgment as to what's their level of trust to that
source.  Since the feeds will be published from each individual sites,
and not from a central server, it's up to the sites to make sure their
feeds are "clean".

* What have I missed? Any other suggestions? Is there something like
  this already in existence?

This is exactly what RSS (and now, Atom) was designed for.  Not sure if
we need to do much more than provide easy ways to include feeds, and
publish them...  Though, I do like the filtering capabilities that the
new tags can provide.  Again, it's possible that Atom already provides
all this, without us having to extend it (much):

  http://www.intertwingly.net/wiki/pie/Primer

Any discussion or tips you'd like to share would be appreciated. The
final home for this project is TBD, I'm using my local anagrafyxx.com
server as an example and (possibly) temporary home. I plan on doing
the actual spec draft and program a parser/aggregator in PHP.

As I mentioned in email, I think this is a great idea, and would be very
useful to the community.  I'd be happy to help out, and provide Perl
modules for parser/aggregator (and publisher!).

Dan

FUT to lugnet.publish

--
Dan Boger