 Publishing / 4594
Re: Attention all RSS geeks!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:35:02 GMT

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 03:41:44PM +0000, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
I've just looked over some of the Atom docs, but it seems very similar
to RSS to me, only much newer. Is Atom supported by many current blog
or web publishing software?

AFAIK, yes - most CMSs, and almost all aggregators do support atom.

My thoughts were that straight RSS feeds would work within the LENNI
framework, and enhanced feeds would be better for LENNI-aware parsers,
so there's some graceful degredation. It may be that I'm not as
familiar with Atom, but I get the impression that starting with Atom
would be starting more from scratch, without an existing user base
like there is with RSS.

I don't think there's much of a difference between emitting Atom or
RSS/LENNI, but I don't have that strong a preference.  If everyone else
is dead against Atom, I'll go with the flow :)

Specifically, the docs I've reviewed are here:
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/atompub-charter.html
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-atompub-format-01.txt

*     Does RSS need to be extended at all to meet these needs? Is
     there another way of using standard RSS to solve these
     objectives?

Probably not - which is why Atom might be a better solution. Note, I
do say "might" because I'm not as well versed in Atom yet.

I'd like to see more info about where an unmodified Atom would be a
better solution for LENNI than RSS. If it could work "out of the box"
then it could be a better solution, but only if it's something that
could be read by existing aggregators. If there's a better spec but
nobody uses it, that's kind of a problem.

The spec is supported by any aggregator I've heard of/used.  As for
important features out-of-the-box, here's some:

- Well defined spec
- Language tag is required:  This will be important for international
  feeds, like from 1000stein.
- Better support for Author meta-data, like website, email, name, etc.
  Support for multiple credits (contributors).

None of which we can't live without.

* Assuming the answers on 1-3 are "yes", is RSS 2.0 the best
  version to work with? (I think it is, since it's relatively
  simple like .91, but can use namespaces without having to include
  a ton of RDF crud like in v1.0.)

The problem with RSS 2.0 is that it's a really really vague
standard. That means the different clients might render the exact
same posts in different ways, making the publishing a lot more
complex.

Actually, I kind of like that the RSS 2.0 spec is fuzzy... it forces
developers to support core functionality and maintain backwards
compatibility. Anything that the parsers don't understand should be
thrown away - so LENNI-specific content (like AFOL) wouldn't be
displayed at all in an off-the-shelf RSS aggregator display. Hard-n-
fast specs tend to make developers sloppy, so there isn't as much
attention to error-correction as in looser specs. RSS is, to put it
truthfully, a gloppy conglomeration of a bunch of different
specifications in use (seven, I think) and parsers need to be bright
enough to wind through them all.

But that's exactly the problem that led to all the browser
incompatibility problems.  If there's no clear spec, each aggregator (or
browser) tries to do it's best...  The problem is that each one comes
with a different interpetation of what is best, and so the results are
slightly different.  Then, later, when the technology advances, suddenly
these differences are very important.

Even if we do go with RSS, I'd hope that LENNY will have a very well
defined spec, so that we can avoid these kind of issues.

    <bricks:fanage>AFOL</bricks:fanage>

Shouldn't this be a numerical age? Otherwise we need to define
what's AFOL...

Good question, that's a valid discussion point. I'd initially thought
filtering by age interest would be "Kids" or "Adults" or "all" but if
it makes sense to make that more granular, that's certainly possible.

Either that, or define in the spec what the cutoff is between Kids and
Adult.

<bricks:theme>Trains</bricks:theme>

How do we support multiple themes? Comma separated list? Make
parsing/filtering a bit more complex. Multiple entries maybe?
* Should or can Themes be multiple choice?

You should be able to have multiple themes, but not from a set list.
New themes get added all the time, we shouldn't have to update the
spec each time just to say "Fantasy Mice" is now a valid theme :)

Exactly. I'm not sure of the best method for this - the themes list
should have some sort of standardized entry so multiple parsers can
filter appropriately. We wouldn't want to have something like "Train"
and "Trains" and "choochoo" be the same theme... there should be
something set so that it's "Trains".

Question for the RSS gurus: can there be multiple item-level elements with the
same name? e.g.:
<bricks:theme>Trains</bricks:theme>
<bricks:theme>Town</bricks:theme>

Here lies the problem of a lack of a good spec :)  Though, I think
that's a question to the namespace spec...  Which does allow us to say
that tags can be repeated, from what I understand.

* What type of "approval" process should be put in place for either
  news or calendar events, if any? What's to prevent a malicious
  person from entering XXX type of content on a KFOL feed?

Nothing at all. And I can't imagine how you can force an approval
process? The only thing users can do is be aware where the item came
from, and apply judgment as to what's their level of trust to that
source. Since the feeds will be published from each individual
sites, and not from a central server, it's up to the sites to make
sure their feeds are "clean".

Maybe it's a matter of providing simple ways within aggregators to
remove feeds from your list, if the content is objectionable. Having
dealt with a web site targeted at kids, my first instinct is to
provide easy mechanisms to deal with the inevitable troublemakers.

Right - this is a job for the aggregator, to allow managing of which
feeds are collected.  You can't stop a bad feed from being published,
but you can't stop reading it.

Dan

--
Dan Boger