 Publishing / 4259
Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 20:37:06 GMT

It is summer time, not lego time (= winter time), so I haven't felt this before
now.
I haven't seen this in my newsreader, but I can imagine that it might look
really funny/odd.

But leaving that of, here is my first suggestion:
I will only post plain text anyway, and it would be easier to have a "post"
button next to the "preview". I think the preview is only needed when posting
FTX messages, an plain text message I know what will look like.

Part2: This attention button is even more anoying!

Sonnich

In lugnet.announce, Todd Lehman wrote:
I am very happy to announce three changes today to the LUGNET News web
interface:

* [Fixed-width font now used for plain-text messages.]
  Once upon a time, when LUGNET first served up messages via the web,
  messages were displayed in a fixed-width font.  This was good, and held to
  tradition, but caused problems for people reading on low-end 640x480
  screens (common at the time).  We changed the font from Courier to Times
  Roman in order to compress the message display.  Well, almost five years
  have passed since then, and the era of postage-stamp sized screens is long
  gone.  So: it's now changed back to Courier.  (Note: if you prefer a
  fixed-width font other than Courier, you can configure this in your web
  browser preferences.)

* [Quoted snippets now show in rainbow of colors.]  Each "level" of quoted
  reply now has its own color, instead of all levels having the same color.
  The color shifts are subtle, yet evident.  Now you can visually pick apart
  layers of replies with ease.

* [FTX content in messages.]  A picture is worth a thousand words.  You can
  now post and view FTX messages through the web interface.  This means you
  can do a lot of neat new things in your messages.  (And you can still post
  messages in plain text too.)  FTX messages show in a proportional-spaced
  font called Verdana.

The remainder of this announcement is a gentle introduction to FTX.