 Publishing / 4184
Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2003 05:41:52 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Mark Papenfuss wrote:
   I am not a fan of the fixed-width text. (snip)

I’m not a big fan of it either, but for the past 4-1/2 years, a proportional spaced font has been causing no end to headaches for people. The good news is that there are other fonts out there (for example Lucida Typewriter) that are easier to read than Courier.

The other good news is, later this summer, I think we’ll be making the jump to hyperspace. Er, I mean Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) -- and this will mean that you’ll be able to define any font you like...even Times Roman or Georgia.

   It looks like what we used to do in high school to meet that 3 page requirment for english reports when we only had a tad more than 2 pages typed ;) But seriously, IMHO it is harder to read, and kinda takes away from the ease and speed and enjoyment of a post. I really liked the old way... but wait.. is this the old way? Oh well, I am sure you get what I am saying.

Ya, it’s just using whatever your browser defines for its fixed-width font. It’s typically Courier by default. You might want to see if you have Lucida Typewriter and see if you like that better.

--Todd